307 Olds air/smog pump belt adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Working in the dark, outside, after work in short windows before rain. 1986 G body.

Actually trying to replace the (original) power steering belt, and now see why it was never replaced in 35 years. Certain things that should be simple are a complete nightmare. So anyway, all other belts except the A/C compressor belt have to come off, since the P/S is 3rd back out of the 4.

Alternator belt done, P/S belt done (which was the easiest, thought it would be the hardest to access). How exactly do you release the tension on the smog/air pump? Right now I see the 15mm bolt below the A/C compressor where, when everything required is loosened, should swing from the slot in the bracket. But where are the rest of the bolts/nuts I need to take off/loosen in order for the pump to move? There is a nut under the A/C compressor pulley...that there is no way it can be reached...without removing the A/C compressor.

Not a fan of working on Oldsmobile engines so far. They are probably much better pre-smog, but almost everything I've touched mechanically makes you think "why did they do that like THAT?", almost as if it were a modern FWD car.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Unfortunately, it has been 20 years since I have touched an Olds air pump, I can't remember. Yes, I hate the Olds belt set up, pretty much their worst feature. There are annoying spacers everywhere and multiple bolts need loosened to just to adjust any belt. That is why I converted mine to a serpentine setup.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
I just did this couple of months back. Believe you have to take it off from the a/c compressor shares a bolt with the smog pump.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Believe this bolt. Pic is from when I did it and had issues with a/c compressor.

1EA3E89C-EFE5-48C2-B079-53CF93E61103.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
I took everything off for water pump and fuel pump replacement. Had issue with a/c compressor and smog pump once I put everything back. You actually may have to take off a/c or just remove the one bolt. Check my thread history.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I just did this couple of months back. Believe you have to take it off from the a/c compressor shares a bolt with the smog pump.

Thanks, you helped quite a bit when I posted about my fuel pump as well. A good frame of mind works wonders. Changing out the alternator was an easy 15 minute job.

I think the main problem is that the Oldsmobile engine is best worked on if you were to pull it out to rebuild, then reassemble and never touch again until it needs rebuilt again. To change or adjust one thing, several other things have to come off, most of which is still hard to get access with tools (even if you can see the bolt plain as day).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The non A/C with no smog pump is much simpler but still not as easy as a non A/C sbc set up, their is still two spacers involved. Plus add on 4 different length water pumps vs the sbc only having 2 making that simpler as well. These are some of the reasons the sbc caught on in popularity over engines like the second gen Olds V8. The fuel pump is equally as crappy in car with accessories in the way for the Olds or the sbc from what I can remember. With my serpentine conversion using the billet brackets and sbc truck accessories, a lot of material was removed to fit a mechanical fuel pump and the A/C bracket needs removed to do the mechanical fuel pump since it needs a twist to go in.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Has some pics, too. Maybe it'll help. Posts 14 and 15. Although I'm not 100% sure on 3/8" or 1/2" breaker bar needs.

Should help, thanks.
The non A/C with no smog pump is much simpler but still not as easy as a non A/C sbc set up, their is still two spacers involved. Plus add on 4 different length water pumps vs the sbc only having 2 making that simpler as well. These are some of the reasons the sbc caught on in popularity over engines like the second gen Olds V8. The fuel pump is equally as crappy in car with accessories in the way for the Olds or the sbc from what I can remember. With my serpentine conversion using the billet brackets and sbc truck accessories, a lot of material was removed to fit a mechanical fuel pump and the A/C bracket needs removed to do the mechanical fuel pump since it needs a twist to go in.

I certainly don't want to knock Oldsmobiles specifically. There's just certain things I haven't had to do or change out yet. It's not exactly a great time, and frame of mind makes a big difference. The alternator and belt are easy since they are first in the sequence.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
No, you are exactly right, the belt set up is complicated by stupid spacers too many different water pump lengths. The 260 through 403 have the exact same dimensions, why are spacers needed, can they not be built in? Plus FOUR different water pump lengths, why so many? The Olds V8, SBO especially was one of the most reliable motors of it's time. I rank the belt system very frustrating and one of it's biggest down falls, especially the later Vin Y set up with the smog pump. They should have adapted the V6 Diesel serpentine set up across the line at that point in 82.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor