307 Olds fuel pump install

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Seems like a really dumb question, but what exactly are the steps to reinstall a replacement mechanical fuel pump back into an Olds 307?

This isn't exactly rocket science. Except of course when it's a smog era Olds with A/C, air pump, and bracketry in the way. I cannot get the lever into the hole in the block far enough to even remotely get the bottom bolt started.

It's the correct replacement pump. The only issue I can think of is that I'm not getting just the right angle on things because of lack of maneuverability.

Any incite into how anyone else has gone about this would be greatly appreciated. This should be very simple.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Seems like a really dumb question, but what exactly are the steps to reinstall a replacement mechanical fuel pump back into an Olds 307?

This isn't exactly rocket science. Except of course when it's a smog era Olds with A/C, air pump, and bracketry in the way. I cannot get the lever into the hole in the block far enough to even remotely get the bottom bolt started.

It's the correct replacement pump. The only issue I can think of is that I'm not getting just the right angle on things because of lack of maneuverability.

Any incite into how anyone else has gone about this would be greatly appreciated. This should be very simple.
I would rotate the engine and try again until it goes in, it is probably pushing on the lever where it is now.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I would rotate the engine and try again until it goes in, it is probably pushing on the lever where it is now.

Tried that too. I was leary of doing that, because it really didn't seem like it would make much difference. And, so far, it hasn't.

Just looking to see what everyone else has done. On a larger car, or older car, or with an engine out of the car this wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
This is also going to sound like a dumb question, but, have you compared the lever arms?

Same era, different engine, I had an 87 cutlass that was Canadian built, but a 231 v6. The lever arm on the fuel pump was a different size than what a couple parts stores kept sending out. Turns out, apparently, there were different length arms sometimes for the same engine block?

Didn't make sense to me until I compared things side by side.

If everything looks right, have you tried pushing it down to see if it's expecting the lever to be partly compressed when sealed against the block?

Had one engine it needed to be manhandled into place on - should be simple right? If it's the right pump and you rotate the engine slightly it should slip on? Well, unfortunately I've had a handful of experiences now and then where it just didn't seem that way:blam:

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
This is also going to sound like a dumb question, but, have you compared the lever arms?

Same era, different engine, I had an 87 cutlass that was Canadian built, but a 231 v6. The lever arm on the fuel pump was a different size than what a couple parts stores kept sending out. Turns out, apparently, there were different length arms sometimes for the same engine block?

Didn't make sense to me until I compared things side by side.

If everything looks right, have you tried pushing it down to see if it's expecting the lever to be partly compressed when sealed against the block?

Had one engine it needed to be manhandled into place on - should be simple right? If it's the right pump and you rotate the engine slightly it should slip on? Well, unfortunately I've had a handful of experiences now and then where it just didn't seem that way:blam:

Everything checked out appearance wise.

I did replace the main feed steel fuel line from the pump to the carburetor a few years ago with one from Inline Tube. That also proved WAY more difficult than it should have been. Too many bends and not enough slack, no room for error when it's being manufactured. The fix for that would just be to put a barb in the pump and another in the carb, then use rubber in between. But I'm not a fan of rubber hose for fuel.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You are trying to install it with lines up, correct? The eccentric is completely round, unlike a sbc, the position is the same.

Reactions: 1 user

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
I just did this a few weeks back. Here’s some info from another member that helped me.

heres my thread. Read through my mistakes and hope you get it. Lol.

Also sniped a pic from classic olds that helped me visualize it.

1611798071538.jpeg
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/replacing-307-water-pump.80172/page-4#post-819029

Reactions: 1 user

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
You are trying to install it with lines up, correct? The eccentric is completely round, unlike a sbc, the position is the same.

Yes, there it's really impossible to get it upside down.

Seems so incredibly stupid to ask this question, but there's just something really weird going on. Or I haven't wrapped my mind around how or why I would need to remove the secondary air injection pump to get the fuel pump in a slightly different position.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I just did this a few weeks back. Here’s some info from another member that helped me.

heres my thread. Read through my mistakes and hope you get it. Lol.

Also sniped a pic from classic olds that helped me visualize it.

View attachment 167497 https://gbodyforum.com/threads/replacing-307-water-pump.80172/page-4#post-819029

Yes, that's a good visualization of what I'm blindly trying to do with the pump.

I guess maybe I need to get an inspection camera to see what the major malfunction is. And to think, this should be a 30 minute job, start to finish...

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Maybe loosen the bracket slightly. Can you get in to the point where you can get the nut on the stud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor