OLDS 307 Rear main seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
I'm confused on which one to use. I've read to use the FelPro BS 40612 or a Ford one. Go to any web and search for 307 application and those don't show up. FelPro rope does. I found a few 2 piece seals. AC Delco 10121044 on Rock Auto for $28+. Jeg's SCE 829-17904 for $20+. O'Reilly shows a Mahle JV748 $20 but not sure if they can get it.
So what do I ask for? What is the application for that 2 piece Fel Pro seal? I hear one you have to trim? Which one fits right without trimming?

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
You'll probably be looking for a Ford Y-Block (292/312) rubber/neoprene rear main seal. I have a Felpro for whenever the rebuild actually comes, but have no experience actually using it.

There are no non-rope type seals for the Oldsmobiles that I'm aware of, that's why you have to look for the Ford, or I believe the other close one is for the AMC 258 6cyl.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ford 292 seal for SBO NON-Diesel. Otherwise, if you have diesel or BBO, you can use a 460 rear main seal. You can also use an AMC 6 cyl seal and cut the "ears" off it.

Here's a Ford 292 seal at summit. It's a couple bucks cheaper at Rockauto.com It's for a FORD so you'll never see it saying it will fit your Olds. But this is what you want if you don't want the rope seal.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Man, I missed this. Too busy hauling fuel, I wish it was the water. Yes, either the 292, AMC 6 or supposedly the AMC 360 seal as well. The 292 seal is an easier fit, the AMC 6 seal is tight to get in. I used Supercars Unlimited seal last time which is a 292 seal and it went in super easy and no leaks. Getting out the old rope seal is a different story.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Man, I missed this. Too busy hauling fuel, I wish it was the water. Yes, either the 292, AMC 6 or supposedly the AMC 360 seal as well. The 292 seal is an easier fit, the AMC 6 seal is tight to get in. I used Supercars Unlimited seal last time which is a 292 seal and it went in super easy and no leaks. Getting out the old rope seal is a different story.
Getting the old rope seal out is easy. You just need the right tool.

Or hire the right contractor with a jackhammer :) :

IMG_5115.GIF

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It is a b*tch to get them out with the motor in the car. Just like the above girl when she doesn't get her way. Probably doesn't happen too often.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor