307 timing cover install Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 delta 88

Apprentice
Feb 15, 2015
hey guys I feel pretty dumb for even asking this but the car is giving me all kinds of hell I just replaced the timing chain on my delta 88 and now I cant get the timing cover to go back in I have removed all the bolts on the front of the pan that I can reach but I cant get the front of the pan to move down at all and the bottom seal on the timing cover is getting stuck on the pan. what do I do now please help!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you have dowel pins remove them and it will be easier....and I borrowed the following...

"timing cover gasket sets come with two different rubber oil pan to timing cover seals. The thicker one is used if the timing chain cover is installed before the oil pan, such as one would when rebuilding an engine. The thinner one is used when replacing the timing cover without disturbing the oil pan, as one would do with the engine in the vehicle. Place the thinner seal in the channel at the bottom of the timing chain cover and then run a 1/4" bead of black silicone sealer along the bottom side of the rubber seal. Seal the rest of the cover as you normally would and install. Then, take the silicone sealer and run a fillet along the seal between the oil pan and the timing cover".

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Maybe a 307 doesn't use a thin seal. You'll never get the pan to move without loosening all the bolts but you don't need to drop the pan. If the pan had a one piece seal than you need to cut it and use the supplied gasket. The package for the gaskets should have come with intructions

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Do not remove the dowels...if you do, the crank seal on the cover will not align properly, and it will leak. You have to loosen the oil pan away(drop) from the front of the motor about 1/2 an inch. This is what your timing gasket set should have included...
fel-TCS13417.jpg
The black crescent seal where the cover seals against the pan is crucial to replace...and goop it up well at the ends.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The dowels are good to remove, it will help the replace the seal. Problem is not destroying them as needed to align the gasket. Trimming the seal and using RTV to fill the gap and help lubricate may help as well. Never done an Olds, the sbc I did was no fun.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Do not remove the dowels...if you do, the crank seal on the cover will not align properly, and it will leak. You have to loosen the oil pan away(drop) from the front of the motor about 1/2 an inch. This is what your timing gasket set should have included...
View attachment 55517
The black crescent seal where the cover seals against the pan is crucial to replace...and goop it up well at the ends.

removal of the dowels will help to get the cover into place and then before the bolts are tightened up the dowels are reinstalled.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor