350/265 engine swap update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I haven't been on in a while and thought it was time for an update. I swapped my (paid a tech I didn't do anything) old 305 for a brand new Chevy 350/265. Old motor could not have had more than 50 hp and once it was apart it was apparent why. I've never seen so much sludge. New motor is in and runs fine for now and will take me anywhere I want to go. It will eventually be tuned a little better but it runs good. No computer at the moment, stock exhaust manifold but I have dual exhaust. It starts right up every time, even when it was 10 deg outside. Plenty of power for a daily driver and I'm sure once I fix the linkage on the carb, which bottoms out and I don't get full throttle, it will do even better. With the last motor my 0-60 time was 14.5 seconds. With the new motor my 0-60 is 8.5 seconds but I can't stop the wheels from spinning so I'm sure it can do better if I could get some grip. Its an 84 El Camino, no weight in the back.

So this is just what I was looking for. I have some other projects to address but I can foresee updating the carb to a new electronic in the future. I have some other upgrades first.

Reactions: 7 users

justdandy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2022
Mildly roller camed, 6"rods,Al heads, FiTech TBI,400 small block, 7004r, 323 pose. Starting it today

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
My dad put a 350/265 in his Malibu wagon daily around 17 years ago, up over 60K miles with only problems that were other worn out parts reused from original engine.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor