350 / 290 crate engine fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkwb100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2019
Sugar Land, Texas
About 3 years ago I purchased a New GM Crate 350/290 long block (part # 809-19355658, along with HEI distributor, and Edelbrock Performer intake. I had an almost new Holley Avenger carb that was used. Lotsa other stuff to make the swap into my 1987 El Camino.

Here after almost 3 years and almost 5000 miles, the #5 cylinder appears to be dead. Along the way to those 5000 miles a quart of oil every 600 miles was required to be added.

With this news I am thinking of a rebuild for a little more power, maybe 350 - 400HP. I want to use this engine.... What would you suggest to be done?

Thanks

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You might want to go with a retrofit roller cam so you don't have to worry about running zinc-rich oil.

Before you decide to overhaul it, I'd say a teardown and forensic examination of what happened would be a good place to start.

When you say #5 is dead, what do you mean? Oil fouled plug? Low or no compression on that cylinder?

What kind of oil did you run in it and how did you break it in? How did the break in go? Did it ever run good/right?

Sorry man, this just sucks.

Vortec heads would be a nice upgrade.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
What do you mean by dead cylinder? I’ve seen someone disassemble a brand new engine because a cylinder had no compression. For some reason the very last thing they did was pull the cam and sure enough, a lobe or two was flat.
How are the valves opening and closing?

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
El Es Won?

• Optimistic
Reactions: 2 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Also check your crankshaft endplay. I just tossed one of those motors in the trash due to a massive failure. You also might want to price out just getting a crate long block delivered from a reputable builder.

Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Wow, that really sucks as they are supposed to be one of the best. Thinking about putting one in my car. Before I used that block i would find out what the failure was.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Was this the 265 HP or the 290HP? How is the power and drivability of the Elco? I'm looking at this option now for a daily driver, not looking for much power but even the 265 will double what I have now. Thanks in advance.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
About 3 years ago I purchased a New GM Crate 350/290 long block (part # 809-19355658, along with HEI distributor, and Edelbrock Performer intake. I had an almost new Holley Avenger carb that was used. Lotsa other stuff to make the swap into my 1987 El Camino.

Here after almost 3 years and almost 5000 miles, the #5 cylinder appears to be dead. Along the way to those 5000 miles a quart of oil every 600 miles was required to be added.

With this news I am thinking of a rebuild for a little more power, maybe 350 - 400HP. I want to use this engine.... What would you suggest to be done?

Thanks
Sounds like it wasn't broken in correctly. A new engine will use a lot of oil until the rings are seated. If the engine has sat around for long periods like over winter, it may simply have sticky valves which can cause a cylinder to not fire.

Reactions: 1 user

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Was this the 265 HP or the 290HP? How is the power and drivability of the Elco? I'm looking at this option now for a daily driver, not looking for much power but even the 265 will double what I have now. Thanks in advance.
I had this same motor in one of my cars for a daily driver and it did great! Be mindful that the 265hp rating is with long tubes and a 4 barrel carb. Would I buy it again..... not right now with the price being $2,800 plus tax and freight, there are better options for just a little more money.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor