EL CAMINO 350/290 swap from 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b
Feb 1, 2020
Hey everyone. Cam finally went flat in my original 305. I’ve been looking into the most amount of power I can get with still passing California smog. Looks like that fresh Chevrolet crate 350/290 is the way to go for me, it’s a daily driver but I take it to shows too. They come with a 222 cam, I hear anything under 224 passes, is this true? I will be running stock manifolds and a cat. I know stock exhaust is restrictive, planning on going single 3 inch eventually. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help !!

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
Hey, hoping to add to the convo. The 305 is dying on my 81 MC as well and considering a similar swap. Was thinking of the 350ci/260hp (max hp based on accessories). But I've heard similar the 350/290's cam should pass smog. And will the ECM have to be flashed to work with the bigger engine? I'm also considering pairing the MSD Atomic EFI. If so, will the ECM even play a roll? It should for the convertor lock-up right?

I'm looking for a shop in the South/SouthEast-ish LA area to perform the work (engine swap at least, EFI included if possibly). TG Performance in Gardena was recommended for the engine swap. Can anyone comment on them or recommend a another shop?

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Those low buck crate 350s are not the best, lower CR than 305s and two piece rear seals. The ECMs do not need to be reflashed. The old 80's ECMs can't be reprogramed by flashing anyway. They require new PROM or EPROM chips to be burned and swapped in. Most shops generally refuse to work on pre OBD2 stuff, or if they do agree most will bungle it due to lack of understanding.

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
I hear anything under 224 passes, is this true?
I talked to one shop and builder said he wouldn’t go beyond 212 duration. He quoted me a long block build and install but was not cheap. He usually builds race engines so I can’t be mad at him.
Did ultimately find a shop for a reasonable cost and solid reputation. I ended up ordering JEGS 059-7353 350ci one piece main seal leaving it stock for now. 305 already has the Edelbrock EGR intake. If your willing to sacrifice your warrranty you can add a mild cam (Edelbrock‘s Performer or JEGS cheaper equal) during the install. I’d guesstimate about 300-310hp with this set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor