350/700R4 85 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
pagrunt: Saaaaweet! Thanks for your feedback on my motor mounts!

Regarding my clearance issue: I removed my headers today, and I heated them to massage the metal to gain 1/4 of an inch of clearance between the frame and them. I have no idea what brand they might be, but I will massage them to a reasonable point before I toss them in the "ain't worth my time" pile!
Okay...I threw heat and hammer at the my headers!! After several episodes of fire and bang, I could not massage them enough to solve my clearance issue.

DOES ANYONE have a header recommendation for my configuration?

* 85 El Camino
- stock spindles
- lowering springs front and rear
* 1st Gen SBC 350
* 700R4

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
DOES ANYONE have a header recommendation for my configuration?

Reactions: 1 user

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
I've had header issues with headers when I first installed a Chevy ZZ350 in my 1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Diesel (what a dog). My first set of headers were Hookers, and sure enough, true to it's name one of the pipes hooked over and passed through the fender-well, hideous. My turning circle became like a truck's, and my tires rubbed on the offending pipes. The Hedman Hedders (I guess their shorties?) solved the problem. I swapped the ZZ350 to a ZZ383, but kept the Hedders with no issues, except in the back of my mind, the Hedman's are 1 5/8"s primary tubes whereas the Hooker's were 1 3/4". If anyone out their can advise me who makes headers for a small block Chevy in a G-Body, that is 1 3/4" and runs under the car, NOT through the fender-well, I would really appreciate.
pagrunt/OldsZZ383: Thanks!! I went with your recommendation for Hedman Hedders. They solved my clearance problem. I also went with Summit's version of the G-Force crossmember.

Attachments

• 20210527_125802.jpg
    20210527_125802.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 113
  • 20210527_130048.jpg
    20210527_130048.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor