350 back fire problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
While I was waiting for parts to be delivered for my G body, I decided to tinker with my dads 79 3/4 tin Chevy plow truck. He had purchased some headers from summit a year prior just never got around to installing them. So I decided to do it for him.
His current stock manifold had no gasket on the passenger side and the donut gasket was completely gone, drivers side was all there and good. Well the job is finished now but upon starting and letting it idle for about 10 seconds (from what I can tell) the passenger side is popping/backfiring.
I don’t know if it was doing it prior because the exhaust was so loud it sounded like open headers. I have changed plugs and wires, new p/s belts, new alt and fan belt, new bolts in the loose steering gear box. None of that should have affected the backfire issue tho.

Attachments

• 31E721E6-FA48-4600-8F2A-9ED49D07C35F.jpeg
    31E721E6-FA48-4600-8F2A-9ED49D07C35F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 153

Jesse80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
rechecked to make sure the plug wires were tight and on the correct cylinder, but thanks for the thought 84slow.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Pull a plug wire off one cyl at a time while running and see if it changes, putting it back on of course.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
warm up the engine and use a infared heat thermometer to check the heat on each exhaust tube to see if any are running cooler. If you find any runner cooler remove the plug and take a good look at it. It could be the ceramic is cracked and grounding the plug

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
warm up the engine and use a infared heat thermometer to check the heat on each exhaust tube to see if any are running cooler. If you find any runner cooler remove the plug and take a good look at it. It could be the ceramic is cracked and grounding the plug
I'm poor so I use the squirt bottle method, or a water bottle with a hole in the lid. Whichever one sizzles the most or the least is usually the culprit. Only works with headers though, or I guess individual runner manifolds if they're long enough.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm poor so I use the squirt bottle method, or a water bottle with a hole in the lid. Whichever one sizzles the most or the least is usually the culprit. Only works with headers though, or I guess individual runner manifolds if they're long enough.

yes, the method with a thermometer works with headers........as for the water spray I have use that at night and looked for sparks and that does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor