CUTLASS 350 diesel head cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Got the news from the machine shop that the heads for my wife's 350 diesel are cracked in between each valve on both heads. I've heard rumors that this was common. Anyone with any experience, can you tell me if this is something I could get away with running or are these junk

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
Never had the pleasure working a 5.7 diesel. I have done many head gaskets with heads cracked between the valves. Theres no water between the valves in those, never been a problem. I can not say for sure if its ok for the Olds greaseall.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I have owned many of these, and yes, its a common issue. im sending along a link to a discussion about this subject, and I will post up here (copy and paste) what someone wrote thats pretty worthy. Good luck !

"Check for cracks on both heads but they are common to crack between the valves. I have reused those heads with cracks between the valve area and never had any issue.It would not hurt to have the cylinder head mating surface machined just a little.Maybe .005" or so which is'nt much.Check your block as well on the deck area.A removal of .005" there wouldn't be a bad idea either.Ive had both of my olds engines machined on the deck area.Having .004-.007 removed with no issue.You just need to use the .010 thicker victor reinz head gasket."

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor