350 Maintance ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
So I just a 80 Malibu with a 350 and some mods. Have a few questions on fluids and plugs as I plan on changing all that good stuff before I take it out and start driving it the way it should be driven. Current engine mods are a mild cam, RPM Performer intake, Holley 670 street avenger carb, and LT headers.
Questions are

Spark plugs: Should I just replace with whats in there now (Champions) and whats the gap?

Oil and filter: What weight oil and any recommendations on the filter? (think from the factory it calls for 5w30)

Coolant: Anything special or just your basic coolant will do with a 50/50 mix?

Thanks in advance....

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Spark Plug gap is usually .045 with HEI. Champion plugs are fine, I happen to favor NGK but that's just me. Oil is up to you. I assume most still use 5w30 or 10w30, all also depends on the weather climate you live in and how you drive it. I would look for somthing thats high in zinc. As far as coolant. i buy just the green prestone and do a 60/40 (60 water/40 coolant) mix myself here in TX

Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I wouldn't go nuts swapping out all the fluids, n plugs and such just yet. Check the antifreeze, and the rear diff level, then just a good oil change, 10w30 of your favourite oil. My preference is Rotella T4 in the 3 gallon pail ( TSC Stores or even Wal Mart ), Wix 51061 Filter, and a bottle of Zinc additive
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/edl-1074/overview/

Once you drive it a few times you will see if it needs anything. GM spent a lot of dough getting parts to work with one another so I am a fan of sticking with mostly Delco stuff

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd take out a plug and see what it looks like, nothing wrong with champion plugs. If you don't know how long the oil has been in the engine I'd change it to a brand that you like. For the coolant you can get a tester to see what the mixture is and if it looks clean I'd leave it. I would also check the transmission oil level and the level of the rear end oil. Don't forget about greasing what needs to be greased.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
Thanks for all the advice. Definitely going to take some time to get back in the way things work with these G Bodies. Totally forgot about having to grease things. I already pulled a plug and it's so so, I personally would feel better if I changed them. Oil was changed before he stored it last fall, practically no miles on the oil. But it has sat for about 5 months, so definitely changing it. Trans fluid is fine and was changed last fall when it was rebuilt. Will check rear end fluid as well, don't remember how to do that but I will figure it out or use Google.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for the rear end there is a filler plug on the passenger side of the pumpkin. It is a 3/8" square plug that your 3/8" extension fits. Clean out the cavity as best you can and I use an old 3/8" drive extension so I can give it a few good wacks with my mallet before I try to turn it.

Reactions: 1 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Valvoline VR1 (Racing Formula) in 10W30. All VR1 Racing oil has ZDDP in it like old oil. They took ZDDP out of Rotella. Or buy ZDDP additive. I am also a fan of the Wix 51061 oil filter.

I use AC Delco, old school (R45TS? no platinum or rapid fire) plugs. I do have NGK in my e85 motor with no complaints. I have used NGK and Champion for years in motorcycles.

I use green 50/50 mix on antifreeze.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
^^ VR1 10w30 is the real deal. Unfortunately a little harder ( and expensive to get ) in Canada hence the $20 bottle of additive. SMH !!!!
I am toying with the idea of importing a whole pallet and re-selling ! But I don't want to pull this thread off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor