350 mechanical fuel pump conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
On a 91 chevy 350 there isa no provision for a mechanical pump.the mount provision casting is there but no hole for the rod.does any one know if you can drill that out and run a old style mechanical pump? I know if i can do this i would have to change camshafts to a cam with a fuel pump lobe.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Dumb question, but are you sure it's not drilled? Most of those blocks were drilled and the cams even had a lobe on them, but they just put a block off plate on. I think i'd rather find a different block than try to drill the hole honestly.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
jrm81bu said:
Dumb question, but are you sure it's not drilled? Most of those blocks were drilled and the cams even had a lobe on them, but they just put a block off plate on. I think i'd rather find a different block than try to drill the hole honestly.
no block off plate,the provision is there and it is hollowed out for the pump arm but just never drilled for the fuel pump rod.I would like to use this block because it is getting harder to find a pre 86 motor,and i know it is a strong running motor.I really dont want to run an electric pump with a regulator for my carb setup.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
"I really dont want to run an electric pump with a regulator for my carb setup." Why not? I ran a quiet factory gbody in-tank setup on my carbed 442. Pretty much plug n play. It was cheap easy quiet & safe compared to an out of tank gravity fed electric and sump or cell. You just need a return style regulator up front to set what fuel pressure you want going to your carb.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Some of the 880 casting blocks came with holes partially drilled or not there at all. But they never had a fuel pump hole on a 880 casting.

If there is a hole partially drilled that doesn't go through, just run a long 1/2 drill bit through it. Then be sure to drill the return on the bottom. If the engine is already built be sure to put something like grease on the bit to catch the chips. I use white lithium.

But the there are no holes predrilled then there is a jig that bolts to the block so everything will line up proper.....the jig like over $400 so I would go with an electric.at that point.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
hurst1979olds said:
Some of the 880 casting blocks came with holes partially drilled or not there at all. But they never had a fuel pump hole on a 880 casting.

I actually have an 880 Vortec block from a 1997 2500HD that is 4 bolt main and has all of the machine work done for the mechanical fuel pump. The factory cam did not have the fuel pump lobe but my new Chevrolet Performance cam does. I assume that it is factory. It showed no signs of being worked on before.I went to the pull a part to get a set of heads but when I got them off the block had absolutely no wear showing so I bought the whole thing.
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor