350 Olds Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Looking for information on 350 Olds head modifications...I have a set of #7 heads that came on my 350 when I purchased my Cutlass 3 years ago. The heads had been milled, ported, and had new valve guides installed on the intake valves, but not the exhaust valves. The engine would not rev over 4700 RPM, so I removed the valve covers and found 4 (slightly) bent pushrods, as well as a broken guideplate. Long story short, I removed and disassembled the heads and found that the Comp Cams roller tip rocker kit had been installed without having the spring seats machined, so the intake springs are compressed more than the exhaust springs when closed. These heads seem to have had some questionable machine work done and I am looking for other heads. I have purchased a Comp Cams hydraulic flat tappet cam kit that comes with the cam, springs, retainers, etc. and I am trying to determine which of the 350 heads would have been machined with all deep valve spring pockets. The installed height is 1.700" on the Comp springs, so I know that the seats will need to be machined anyway, but I think a set of virgin heads would be the easiest route. I have read that the #6 heads had deep valve spring seats for all of the valves, but I cannot find anything definite about the #5 heads. Anyone got any ideas?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Only the number 7 heads have the uneven spring pockets. My one set of #6 have the comp dual springs, the other set have BBC springs and both revved over 5000 rpm no problem. Get the pockets machined and if you replace any exhaust guides, don't go tighter than .0028". If you can wait and can budget it, wait for the new Edelbrock 68cc aluminum heads that allow the mechanical fuel as well. Way more flow with a much better chamber. They should be out by the end of the year.

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I have a complete set of #5 heads ( disassembled ) PM me if you're interested.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor