350 SBC Build Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
hi fellas
I decided to start this thread in order to maybe help me build up the trashed 350 SBC I just recently got. I really want to get into the machine shop already but dont know much on how to go towards this. My plans as far as HP would be to reach 350, if possible while staying in between my budget, I will be sticking with a carbed engine. I have about 1.5k to start for pure parts, the machine work is about 50 dollars in mexicali, I'd just have to end up building it. I also have a Th350 laying around which I have to make compatible with the 350's HP so it won't give out on me fast. So I will also need some advice on that.
P.s, When I mentioned this rebuild 350 i'm talking full on rebuild. Cam, crank, pistons etc. I want the best for this engine. I'm open to any advice u guys have to offer, thanks

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Is it a 4 bolt main? Have the cylinders been bored/ sleeved before? What do you mean by "trashed" . And, for $1500 you can probably find a nice rebuilt long block with low, or zero miles to get you in the game quicker and easier. If your current engine is still running you could probably get a few hundred dollars for it

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
Is it a 4 bolt main? Have the cylinders been bored/ sleeved before? What do you mean by "trashed" . And, for $1500 you can probably find a nice rebuilt long block with low, or zero miles to get you in the game quicker and easier. If your current engine is still running you could probably get a few hundred dollars for it
Yessir 4 bolt.. and yeah it's also been bored before but not to the point where it's not worth rebuilding ya know. It still has a future. What I meant by trashed is just 'thrown away' ' that was not in regards to the condition of the block itself
If anything the only thing that came damaged as **** were the heads, they were pretty beat up but I mean I never planned on using them. so it's coool. As far as buying a compete one like you Amentioned, I could go that way and just get it but the art of completing the rebuild from scratch is priceless.. must be nice to hear the engine you built and installed, fire for the first time lol. My current engine is running but I'd really doubt anyone would buy it out here in my county.. maybe ebay. it's a 3.8 v6 tho so dont knw if they're really worth buying to some people

Last edited:

Zspoiler

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2018
You probably built it similar to a 350 /357 HP Chevrolet crate engine or find a good speed and or machine shop for recommendations. It took me a couple of years to get my parts together starting with a Chevrolet NASCAR "Bowtie" engine block .In combination with an engine builder friend of mine. To build my 377 cubic inch 500 HP small block Chevy for my 1979 Z- 28 RS Camaro Pro-Touring car..

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
P.s, When I mentioned this rebuild 350 i'm talking full on rebuild. Cam, crank, pistons etc. I want the best for this engine. I'm open to any advice u guys have to offer, thanks

You might put pen to paper for cost and consider a crate motor.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
You might put pen to paper for cost and consider a crate motor.

I have to agree here. If you don't NEED certain parts like as in a race engine, its hard to beat a crate engine. I have a 4 bolt 350 block that I would like to build a 383 for my Malibu, but if I build it the way I WOULD build it after years of racing, it would have overkill parts in it and do the same thing that a crate motor would. My 355 in my Nova for example had an Eagle forged crank, Scat pro comp I beam 7/16 bolt rods, SRP pistons, AFR heads, Lunati hydraulic roller, Morel lifters, all the good stuff amounted to a $7000+ 425-450 hp engine in a cruiser car. I most likely would go down the same path again where an ATK 383 crate engine would serve all the same purposes for a lot less.

Zspoiler

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2018
I agree ,I went overkill on my engine because of what I was building it for. There are array of Chevrolet and aftermarket crate engines to select from.Plus you have a warranty,

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greeting Guys;
1 "but the art of completing the rebuild from scratch is priceless.. must be nice to hear the engine you built and installed, fire for the first time lol." YOU BET it is!
2 "My 355 in my Nova for example had an Eagle forged crank, Scat pro comp I beam 7/16 bolt rods, SRP pistons, AFR heads, Lunati hydraulic roller, Morel lifters, all the good stuff amounted to a $7000+ 425-450 hp engine in a cruiser car. I most likely would go down the same path again where an ATK 383 crate engine would serve all the same purposes for a lot less." The slippery slop of us most Afflicted?
3 "There are array of Chevrolet and aftermarket crate engines to select from.Plus you have a warranty," Ok the most cost effective, but ya can't say, I BUILT IT!
Wow all True, but let's help build an engine, #1. Mr. 83 Reeeegal you will have to measure your cylinders to determine if it can be cleaned up (engine shop). After you take out the current slugs (pistons). Leave the crank in as it will be protected from damage during trip to engine shop. And they will be able check your crank at the same time (straightness, journal condition & size). Next either buy new rods or spend a bunch of $$$ to magnaflux yours, new bolts & resize both ends. New rods are a bargain & ya know you will need new pistons. So depending on condition of crank you will then know what sub assemblies to purchase. Please keep in mind that head, cam & intake selection all have to work as a team, plan ahead. Good Luck, Ole' Bob.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
While I am not trying to deter anyone from building their own engine and I agree that it is great building an engine and hearing it run and being proud of that accomplishment but at the same time I have seen many attempt this and either end up with questionable machine work or with their lack of experience they miss something on the assembly process and the end result is engine failure and a very expensive lesson learned.
( I have seen it happen on here plenty of times)
I think nowadays it is more cost effective to get a crate short or long block that can be at your door in a week and you will still have the R & R along with adding all of your accessories and going through the break in process and then tuning so all of that is still an accomplishment but underneath all of that work is an engine built correctly with a warranty, no warranties when you build it yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor