350 SBC w/ FAST EZ EFI 30227-06KIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
Needing some help before installing this kit. I bought a FAST 30227-06KIT - FAST EZ-EFI Self-Tuning Fuel Injection System for a 78 Malibu. I plan on taking out the OG 305 and installing a 350 SBC. I was wanting to know what else was needed to install this kit and any tips or trouble you may have ran into installing it. I was told I need an Ignition box. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 253FD759-4162-46A6-AF91-18DE42D7AD19.png
    253FD759-4162-46A6-AF91-18DE42D7AD19.png
    272.7 KB · Views: 132

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Call either or both of Summit and FAST to ask about any of your concerns.

Reactions: 1 user

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
Yeah you need an ignition box and coil, maybe an air cleaner/filter also. Overall that looks to be a pretty complete kit. I went ahead and purchased their distributor also, since the ECU can control timing.

The ECU also has a built in electric fan controller, so now is a good time for that upgrade also.

You'll need to do a fair amount of wiring, so be prepared to find a place to mount a bunch of relays and a bus bar for ground, 12v, and switched 12v.

You don't say in your post if you have an aftermarket intake manifold. Usually these kits will not fit factory bolt pattern, I believe you will need an aftermarket manifold.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I've done a little research on the conversion and most of the throttle body kits, FI Tech, Sniper and the likes are usually fairly complete as far as the engine side. You will need to either swap your tank to a fuel injection set up (the best option) or convert yours over. High pressure fuel pump is needed as well as a return line. FI Tech has a fuel command center you can add and keep you original tank but you will still need a return line. When I did my fuel tank, I purchased the 3 tube sending unit instead of the 2 tube just in case I went that route. I hope this helps.

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I've done a little research on the conversion and most of the throttle body kits, FI Tech, Sniper and the likes are usually fairly complete as far as the engine side. You will need to either swap your tank to a fuel injection set up (the best option) or convert yours over. High pressure fuel pump is needed as well as a return line. FI Tech has a fuel command center you can add and keep you original tank but you will still need a return line. When I did my fuel tank, I purchased the 3 tube sending unit instead of the 2 tube just in case I went that route. I hope this helps.
Looks like the fuel pump and regulator is included, per the photo

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Some kits do include the pump and regulator, some don't. It kinda comes down to am I saving every penny I can to just afford one or do I scoop some money off the pile and just get it. The nice thing is, there is definitely a range of options and with a little research and help from the Gbody Forum Family you can make the best decision that fits your budget.

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
I did a similar install a few years ago with the MSD Atomic efi carb.
No more dead spots, easy starts, fuel economy, ease of tuning...

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
Yeah you need an ignition box and coil, maybe an air cleaner/filter also. Overall that looks to be a pretty complete kit. I went ahead and purchased their distributor also, since the ECU can control timing.

The ECU also has a built in electric fan controller, so now is a good time for that upgrade also.

You'll need to do a fair amount of wiring, so be prepared to find a place to mount a bunch of relays and a bus bar for ground, 12v, and switched 12v.

You don't say in your post if you have an aftermarket intake manifold. Usually these kits will not fit factory bolt pattern, I believe you will need an aftermarket manifold.
This is what I needed. Yes I have an Edelbrock 2701 intake. I wrote down a list of “suggested parts” I need but I was wanting to know what was really needed. Thanks for the info.

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
Some kits do include the pump and regulator, some don't. It kinda comes down to am I saving every penny I can to just afford one or do I scoop some money off the pile and just get it. The nice thing is, there is definitely a range of options and with a little research and help from the Gbody Forum Family you can make the best decision that fits your budget.
I grabbed this kit cause I got it from Summit for $550 from their clearance section. I originally planned on LS swapping but I’ll do this for now. Work on the rest of the car and let the LS be the last on the list now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor