350 swap on 84 el camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

84aLkI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2008
im having someone drop in a 350 in my elco he called me today and said he had a 4 bolt main off a truck (didnt say what year or model truck it came off) and said it did not fit cause the frame is only made to take 6cyl or 305 motors BUT it was gonna be possible to do with custom mounting brackets for the motor and getting a short tail transmission because the 350 trans i have now is to long he was gonna have to get a short tail transmission. I thought it was gonna be a direct swap without any mods needed what kind of problems can he be coming across

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Your guy is wrong and probably shouldn't be trusted to do the swap. Since you gave no info on you current setup, I went through some of your old posts and you said you had a 305. The 350 is a direct swap. If you provided a mid-length or long TH350, he may be right on that. A short TH350 is very common and inexpensive. What's wrong with the transmission you have? You also made some posts about a 200-4R. Did you ever install it?

More specs on your combo would be helpful. A little sentence structure goes a long way too.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
The 305 and 350 are exactly the same as far as external dimensions go. I would not be trusting this guy do this swap.

84aLkI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2008
Well the guy figured it out so he didnt end up welding nothing..........i drove it felt perfect smooth ride and felt strong but girl called me cause she was driving behind me and said the car was letting out smoke from the exhaust pulled over to check and everything was fine no smoke it only smoked when i drove it

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
As the other posters have said, it would be nice if you could provide some details and some more information on EXACTLY what engine & transmission combination is in the car now. So the 350 is in the car now? Was the engine rebuilt before it was installed in the car? What transmission is in the car now? A bit of sentence structure would be really nice too.

84aLkI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2008
The block is a rebuild 350 (carberated) off a suburban not sure what year with edelbrock intake and MC SS ported heads and the trans is a 400 (the intake and heads were from my old block i told him to use them) and the carb is from the burban thats just from what the guy told me. i did ask him about the smoke and he said i need new valve cover gaskets cause oil was leaking into my exaust manifold thats what was causing the smoke, im not to sure about his answer. the guy did all the work from his garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor