350 to replace 3.8 i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_bigg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 14, 2005
350 to replace 3.8 in cutlass

im looking at buying a cutlass supreme off one of my freinds that has a seized 3.8 liter automatic i was thinking that i would rather replace the engine with a manual trany and while i was at it i figured a 350 would be a good choice for an engine i was woundering what in the way of mounts and stuff i would need i have a simular post under drive train because i have more questions and i figured it would be nice to have a wider base of imformation to work on ive seen this swap doen b4 but idk if they used the standard mounts and it came with a a v8 in the cutlass to begin with or what

dragginwagon406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2005
I don't have much experience in the transmission department but I can tell you the engine is as straight forward as it can get.

The motor mount plates (actually a plate with an elastomer mount crimped in) bolted to the frame with 3 or 4 bolts will need to be swapped for the V-8 versions. When getting the mounts from the junkyard, pay atttention to location of these mounts. The holes will already be in your frame...it is only a matter of reaching between your A-arms to put the nuts back on.

A few other things to mention are the fuel line is on the wrong side for a Chevy swap, the wiring will need some adustment and be sure you grab all the accessory components from your donor motor. This makes things much simpler.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
dragginwagon406 said:
I don't have much experience in the transmission department but I can tell you the engine is as straight forward as it can get.

The motor mount plates (actually a plate with an elastomer mount crimped in) bolted to the frame with 3 or 4 bolts will need to be swapped for the V-8 versions. When getting the mounts from the junkyard, pay atttention to location of these mounts. The holes will already be in your frame...it is only a matter of reaching between your A-arms to put the nuts back on.

A few other things to mention are the fuel line is on the wrong side for a Chevy swap, the wiring will need some adustment and be sure you grab all the accessory components from your donor motor. This makes things much simpler.

a Chebbie in an Olds NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....350 Olds slides right in using the apropos 307 hardware

Mr_bigg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 14, 2005
DrRansom442 said:
dragginwagon406 said:

a Chebbie in an Olds NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....350 Olds slides right in using the apropos 307 hardware

how much of a differance is ther between the 350 olds and the 350 chevy?

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Mr_bigg said:
DrRansom442 said:
dragginwagon406 said:

how much of a differance is ther between the 350 olds and the 350 chevy?

probably an easier question to ask if anything is the same, but since Olds powerred Cutlasses are more plentiful in the US and well an Olds should have an Olds engine....be just as easy to pull parts from a 307 donor car then a 305 donor car

dragginwagon406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2005
If you are only looking for a relatively mild set up, either would be a good choice but if you are looking for a stout daily driver, I would go with the Chevy because it will make more power for less money. I can only speak from my experiece: small block Chevy's are the simplest to assemble and cheapest to build.

:idea: If you really want a sleeper, go with a 455 Olds. These engines look identical to a 260-403 to the untrained eye. :shock: The bonus of these engines is they make great torque at lower rpm's so they require less gear to run impressive quarter mile times.

I prefer the feel of a torquey engine over a high horspower engine any day. Torque is what you sets you back in your seat taking off from a stop light, horsepower keeps you back in the seat.

Mr_bigg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 14, 2005
yea i was pretty much only thinking of a 350 because i know there are all kinds of parts available for them and you can get them rather easily any bigger you might as well have a hole in your gas tank if your planning on driving it daily

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
money saved building a Chevy is offset by the parts and agrevation of doing a swap, easiest way to do a swap is purchase an entire Chevy powerred donor car and raid it for parts....or you can build the Olds and enjoy the extra low end torque a built Olds typically sees over its Chevy counterpart

beachbum29

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Upstate
aggravation of doing the swap?? geez..... I didn't think it was that hard!... and we slammed it together in two weekends....

I picked up an 87 olds from ebay a while ago as I was looking for a shell for my 86 monte drivetrain that I had... we put in the engine, and transmission as 1 unit, with the monte radiator, ac condensor, charcoal canister, wire harness, monte ss exhaust, 200r4 transmission, monte rear end, also swapped in the monte dash, as the olds dash didn't have the gauge package and was hammered, plus by some fluke, the monte interior stuff I had was the same color.. had to move two clips on the firewall and it was a bolt in, complete with monte wire harness, computer, and monte ss gauge package, monte column.. everything worked, full load..... only thing I forgot to grab from the monte was the ss sway bars... oops..... pic's are on my site below..

you need the following.. go right to a parts store and get two brand new motor mounts for an 81 to 88 monte carlo with the V8 (they're 8 bucks apiece)

do you already have an engine? with transmission?? some old's came with the universal bolt pattern th350, but most of them came with the anemic th200.. same driveshaft for both.. same crossmember for both..

your going to need to get a same year monte radiator, and ac condensor with lines if you want to keep the ac

your going to need to re-route the fuel feed line (3/8") from the tank, up the passenger side of the car instead of the drivers side that the V6 has. (cheap shadetree way is to run rubber hose under the cradle, but I wouldn't........) you can buy 3/8" steel coil stock right from gm for like $25.. and it isn't too hard to route, take the clips that bolt to the frame from the drivers side off with the fuel line that you remove, and reuse the clips on the passenger side.. while your there, check out the brake lines and make sure they're all ok too...

your going to need a monte V8 fan shroud, not hard to come by, but the clean alternative is to get the steel buick/olds V8 tin rad shroud cover to hold in the radiator and get dual electric fan's for cooling.. works out well....

as for exhaust, depending on what you have for an engine and what manifolds it came with.. 74 on up impala/caprice manifolds will bolt in, but will not work with stock exhaust as they dump out at rear of manifold. same for 74 to 77 malibu manifolds, however 78 on up chevy G body manifolds dump in correct locations for stock Y pipe to bolt up. or get a set of dynomax headers from advance auto for $100, and do up a nice dual exhaust..

front springs may sag, or may live... if you replace them, just get V8 replacement springs.. not a hard job, just a pain....

as for the olds motor?? they work well.. bolt right in and only difference would be the fuel line location.. BUT if you shove a 455 in there, you will be looking at much stiffer front springs to level the load, and a oil filter relocation is very possible..

good luck.....

Mike

P.S. it's your car........ put in whatever engine you can afford to and you choose to.... as long as it's not a furd.........

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
3.8 to chevy 350

im new to this forum who would of thought just for g bodys i have a 82 regal with a slow 3.8 my buddys got a chevy 350 thats was in 84 prix with shaved heads and a mild cam that was just removed due to the fly wheel going bad replaced with a motor with a bigger cam and bored bigger how do you i get this in my car i heard the motor mounts had to be welded in but i read above they can be bolted in and the gas line is on the other sidesome please help :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor