350 vortec swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
ok i got an 85 t type and i pulled the motor out and bought a 97 suburban with a cracked transfer case plan on putting it in the regal and got a couple of questions.

can i use the whole front serpentine setup off of the suburban?

the water pump is reverse rotation, can i just hook it up to my radiator in the regal? v8 radiator

the motor runs awesome, but i noticed it has the spot where a mechanical fuel pump can go on, is it still a vortec or was it switched out before? car has a fuel pump for fuel injection i can just put a regulator right?

do i just buy a intake for a carb for vortec heads once i verify that they are vortec heads? then get HEI distributor right?

are motor mounts cheap or should i junkyard them

i think that wraps it up, motor should be out the suburban tomorrow maybe il show some pictures tomorrow

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
is there any cam that i can just swap in for some torque

so far its a stock vortec with stock exhaust manifolds that will be duals though idk what hp and tq that is

jjamm7667

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm in the process of doing something similar. My engine came out of a 2000express, the spot for the fuel pump on mine is not drilled all the way through. You should be able to use the serpentine... I am. I dont know about the radiator. i'm switching to a carb setup so if you are you will need a dist. from a older chevy w/vacuum advance. Vortec heads only have 8 bolt holes (4 on each side) for the intake. Get the motor and frame mounts from the chevy.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
ok motors out tomorrow i will take off valve covers to see if there vortec heads

couple of questions i can think of now are

the oil filter has lines that ran to the radiator, what do i do just plug them holes at the filter?

what should i look for / do to the motor now?

how do i know where to put mounts on the regals frame to bolt it to the 200r4?

im excited the motor is way bigger than the v6 it has and the neighbors cant get over i pulled a motor im 20 old guy next door must think im 15 lol

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
its got a "10" on the block from what i could read under the gunk idk if its good or bad, and the freeze plugs look brand new which backs up the its rebuilt story the p/o gave me

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
yay the heads are 12558062 casting number !!!!!! vortec!!! man im excited this motor ran like a clock i want it in my regal soon.... what should i do now??? hit the junkyard and get some motor mounts out of a monte carlo or are they cheap somewhere else?

:D :D :D

ima be HAULIN *ss in no time

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
-crickets-

I read the the serpentine set up off the suburban won't fit so imma snatch up a set up from a 305 camaro will those motor mounts work

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor