3500 torque convertor too much for 350?

Status
Not open for further replies.

H317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2014
Albany, IN
Good evening everyone! I need your help again(imagine that...LOL)
I need to know if the torque convertor I will be installing with a different TH350 transmission (with a B&M shift kit installed) will be too much convertor for my car(84 monte carlo). The torque convertor on the transmission that is being installed is 3500 stall. The engine is a 350 sbc with stock cam, 4 barrel edelbrock carb (600cfm). Rear end gears are street gear I believe. Currently have transmission cooler in radiator from previous transmission but not sure what kind, etc.
The reason for the transmission change is that the forward clutch was going out on the old TH350 and got an awesome deal on another TH350 transmission with the shift kit and 3500 convertor.
The use of this car will be drag strip with only a 2.5 mile drive to and from the dragstrip as it is not trailered. Not a daily driver so not concerned with MPG.
Any input would be most appreciated as I do NOT want to have to re-do this transmission anytime soon. I am anxious to get back to the dragstrip and I am hoping to have this done and ready to go in the next few days.

bygddy

Apprentice
Mar 8, 2014
H317 said:
Good evening everyone! I need your help again(imagine that...LOL)
I need to know if the torque convertor I will be installing with a different TH350 transmission (with a B&M shift kit installed) will be too much convertor for my car(84 monte carlo). The torque convertor on the transmission that is being installed is 3500 stall. The engine is a 350 sbc with stock cam, 4 barrel edelbrock carb (600cfm). Rear end gears are street gear I believe. Currently have transmission cooler in radiator from previous transmission but not sure what kind, etc.
The reason for the transmission change is that the forward clutch was going out on the old TH350 and got an awesome deal on another TH350 transmission with the shift kit and 3500 convertor.
The use of this car will be drag strip with only a 2.5 mile drive to and from the dragstrip as it is not trailered. Not a daily driver so not concerned with MPG.
Any input would be most appreciated as I do NOT want to have to re-do this transmission anytime soon. I am anxious to get back to the dragstrip and I am hoping to have this done and ready to go in the next few days.
Stock cam, stock gears = stock converter. A good tight 3500 stall is absolutely fine on a street car when the combo dictates it.
Your doesn't at this point.

H317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2014
Albany, IN
Stock cam, stock gears = stock converter. A good tight 3500 stall is absolutely fine on a street car when the combo dictates it.
Your doesn't at this point.[/quote]
What will happen if I use the 3500 stall as it's 99% usage will be drag strip?

plmberkevin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2013
Way to much converter your motor you dont make any pwr to keep it locked up to pull it down the track.One thing is you may never see it stall to 3500 because of stock stuff.I would say like a 2500 would wake it up just fine.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
If you don't plan on major mods to the engine anytime soon, I would not use it. It too much for your current set up (as stated).

I like to think of converters as a smaller part of a recipe instead of a main ingredient. Many, many things need to be taken into consideration before adding a high stall converter that will be productive.

I have heard of people running factory v6 toque converters behind stock/mild 350s with good results. My understanding is its a cheap trick to bump up your stall up a little( few hundred) bit.
Ive never done it myself though.
HTH

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
I agree, way too much stall for a stock engine. You wouldn't need a stall converter like that unless you had a heavily modified engine with a radical cam and a lower gear set in the rear end, such as 3.73 or 4.10. I would try a 2200-2500 rpm stall on a stock or mild engine. You're not gonna be thrilled with your results at the track. Why not just make a nice cruiser? Your car is awfully nice to not take it on some cruises and enjoy it 8)

H317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2014
Albany, IN
Thank you all for your replies. Have decided to just do stock convertor for now until I can change out the cam and go with the 3.73 gears..
I know my Monte is not an SS (wish it was) but I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this forum.
Soon I will be back at the dragstrip and hopefully with some much improved times with a non slipping transmission.
I think the above mentioned mods will have to wait til winter!! LOL Must improve the driver before improvements on the car will be evident!!!

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
H317 said:
Thank you all for your replies. Have decided to just do stock convertor for now until I can change out the cam and go with the 3.73 gears..
I know my Monte is not an SS (wish it was) but I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this forum.
Soon I will be back at the dragstrip and hopefully with some much improved times with a non slipping transmission.
I think the above mentioned mods will have to wait til winter!! LOL Must improve the driver before improvements on the car will be evident!!!
Good call and keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor