350chevy into 86 regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

86regalSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2006
ok, i have an 86 regal with no motor or trans and a 66 chevelle thats in dire need of body work, but has a well built 350/350 combo. I want to swap the 350/350 into the regal. What all will I need?

I know I need motor mounts. And possibly a radiator. Will the longtubes I have on the 350 work in the regal? Will I need to hook up any of the wiring harness to this engine? I'm going to run mechanical oil pressure and water temp guages. I'll probably rewire the charging system. I dont plan on getting this car to pass an inspection, I dont need to worry about that. Also, how will the throttle linkage connect? and the shift linkage to the trans? Any info is appreachiated. thanks

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
my 87 regal has a 305 chevy motor in it already. a 350 will drop right in. im not sure what you will need if its not a sbc already but you'll probably need the proper crossmember for the transmission

zerex

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2006
You will need a set of motor mounts for a g-body small block, A internally regulated alt compared to 66's external if it's still all stock. I would pull out the points dist. and get a HEI unit to put in it also if it is still stock.

When I swapped a 350/th350 out of a 69 biscayne into a Monte. I bought all the mounts new from GM. You will need to get a powersteering pump that will fit the SB. Junkyard was helpfull for this at the time. Would of used the alternater from the v6 I was pulling but guy doing it with me broke the ear off.

86regalSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2006
ok the 350 in the chevelle isnt the OEM unit. most of it was pieced together from various cars. the block is out of a late 70s truck, so its a 4 bolt main block. the heads are off an 80's vette. it has a power steering pump already. and HEI distributor. I was going to use the alternator off my regal. would i just get the mounts for a monte ss with a v8 in it?

zerex

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2006
Yep, be sure to get both parts for easiest fit. Some of the clam part are slightly different. Just helps with alignment.

zerex

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2006
There is the piece that mounts on the frame, actually rubber D shapped
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 27&ptset=A

thingy. And then there is the part that mounts on the block which fits over the other part and the bolt goes thru.

Doesn't look like you can get the other part from parts store. Your best bet is go to junkyard and get a pair you can know what they are out of then get the lowers to match from parts store.

86regalSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2006
what about the throttle linkage?

it was a 2 bbl rochestor with cruise amd going in will be a 4bbl quadrajet with no cruise.

will the linakge hook up about the same, just without cruise?

zerex

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2006
I don't remember having any problem hooking up throttle, thing they use all the same connections, it should be long enough. You might need the throttle cable holder for the 305 on there but should work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor