350SBC SMOKES WHEN I REV IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGDADDY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2010
:cry: GOT A 350 THAT ONLY GIVES A PUFF OF GREYISH SMOKE WHEN I REV IT . MY ANTIFREEZE IS GOOD ITS A 89 350 E-BROCK INTAKE HOLLEY 650 MSD BOX NEW BLUE MAX WIRES BUT REALLY STOCK INSIDE MY NEXT STEP IS TO RIP IT APART

HELP!!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
are you loosing oil and what do your plugs look like. You might want to give it a leak down test...

87BlackSheep

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2010
Fort Knox, KY
Could be just buildup on your valves. There's a lot of small stuff that could cause a little puff of grey smoke (bad rings, lift adjustment, poor ignition, etc.). Now when you get grey/blue smoke on startup you got yourself a real problem. I'd give it a fresh oil change with filter (use 5W oil cause it's getting cold out) Use Luccas oil treatment and Luccas fuel system cleaner in a full tank of 91. Take her out on the freeway and mash the gas to clear out some of that buildup.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I agree that it isn 't really a big deal. Most likely just a little blow-by or some bad valve seals, nothing to worry about unless it is pouring smoke.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Blake442 said:
Big deal... Show me a SBC that doesn't smoke, and I'll buy you a Coke! :lol:

Send a case to somerset, PA. I'll show you 30+ that don't smoke.

Alright, there could literally be 100+ different reasons why your engine is smoking. Daignose it, check your plugs. TAKE PICTURES, and post them. Otherwise it's kind've hard to tell. Check your engines oil, and check the antifreeze.

Is the engine missing at all?? Have you ran a compression test at all??

If all of the above checks out, I'd point fingers at your carb. It could be leaning out for some reason or another when you accelerate.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
typically valve seals

sometimes you can change your oil brand and improve it but its nothing really to dive into if thats your only issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor