442 355 144 weiand blower maintenance and driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Forgive me now this maybe a little long. What I have is a 1986 442 Olds 355 144 Weiand blower 4 barrel Holley heads 750 Holley carb and I'm pretty sure a mild cam. I was told it pushing around 600Hp and after driving it last Sunday for the first time I believe it The car ran so sweet Driving around normally seemed like driving any other car but when you hit the gas it woke up in through me into the seat (first thing I thought was running the 1/4 mile) at 30mph punching it the wheels would break loose at a stop sign I could burn the tires which seemed infinite . This is my first car ever with a blower and iv'e never driven a car with a blower. What I would like to know if there is any special maintenance for a set up like this also driving it does it need to be driven hard or can you just take it kind slow and easy or will it build up with carbon deposits ???? Sorry for sounding like a weenie but I just don't want to ruin this car because of something stupid. Any help will be much appreciated.Try to keep the laughter to a minimum lol.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Drive it however you can afford to. The harder you drive it, the more gas you use and the higher the chance of parts breaking and tires wearing out.

BTW, any pics of it? We love car pics around here! 😁

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm not sure the Weiand 144 can push 600hp worth of air. Has it been dyno'd? I hate it when someone builds a car and slaps a hp figure on it. Hopefully that's not the case here. Hell, 400hp will blow the tires off and set you back in your seat. Just enjoy the thing. As far as I know, those draw through setups are pretty easy to live with and tune. The better question is what trans and diff is in the car?

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I have a 1979 Camaro Z-28 Pro-Touring car with a built 377 cubic small block Chevy with a Weiand 142 cubic inch mini blower. Mine was a daily driver for awhile until I painted it. You just need to keep the maintenance on it for one . And is the car built to handle all that power? Brakes .suspension .etc. And if you are going to run it with pump gas (Premium) I would keep it around 5lbs of boost .Just keep the max effort pulleys in the trunk .Just in case you want to "play". Mine has a Super T-10 4 speed with an upgraded 8.5 10 bolt with 3:42 gears .So its better for the street, And on driving it you need to learn throttle control .I drove truck in the Marine Corps a lot of it off road. And have a Class A CDL license with over 30 years experience I I live in the Greater Seattle .Washington area. So I have hills and occasional snow to deal with . So do what you can if not find something else to drive it you rather not drive your Olds,.

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 210
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 185
Reactions: 1 user

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
I'm not sure the Weiand 144 can push 600hp worth of air. Has it been dyno'd? I hate it when someone builds a car and slaps a hp figure on it. Hopefully that's not the case here. Hell, 400hp will blow the tires off and set you back in your seat. Just enjoy the thing. As far as I know, those draw through setups are pretty easy to live with and tune. The better question is what trans and diff is in the car?
Ty No I haven't had it dyno'd yet Plan on that in the spring if all goes well. It has a turbo 350 and 373 gears with posi.

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
I have a 1979 Camaro Z-28 Pro-Touring car with a built 377 cubic small block Chevy with a Weiand 142 cubic inch mini blower. Mine was a daily driver for awhile until I painted it. You just need to keep the maintenance on it for one . And is the car built to handle all that power? Brakes .suspension .etc. And if you are going to run it with pump gas (Premium) I would keep it around 5lbs of boost .Just keep the max effort pulleys in the trunk .Just in case you want to "play". Mine has a Super T-10 4 speed with an upgraded 8.5 10 bolt with 3:42 gears .So its better for the street, And on driving it you need to learn throttle control .I drove truck in the Marine Corps a lot of it off road. And have a Class A CDL license with over 30 years experience I I live in the Greater Seattle .Washington area. So I have hills and occasional snow to deal with . So do what you can if not find something else to drive it you rather not drive your Olds,.
Very nice ty for sharing those pics and ty for your service. Iv'e had several cars along the way but nothing like this. Usually small builds with a mild cam. Nothing crazy. My plan was to just take it to shows, Sunday drives and possibly to work on nice days once in a while. Figured Id be running 93 at the pump. Other then that not really sure It was kinda spur of the moment trade for my 92 vette. Guy I traded for had interest in the car and did nothing to it and knew very little about it. I did reach out to the guy before him that had it and he told me it was pushing between 500 and 600 hp. Also offered to buy it back. But he really didn't know alot on the build either. It was done already. Trying to locate that person now ,but not having much luck. I wish I knew what you were talking about with the max effort pulleys and the boost I don't know how even to adjust the boost?? Did you drive your car as a daily set up with all that stuff? My car seems to be all motor and drive train but nothing else has been upgraded as far as I can see so far.What do you mean by throttle control and is there any special maintenance other then usual? Will give more updates and photos in the future. TY very much oh and do you know how much hp your car has? Sounds like your pushing way more then me.

Attachments

• IMG_8838.JPG
    IMG_8838.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_8841.JPG
    IMG_8841.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_8842.JPG
    IMG_8842.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_8843.JPG
    IMG_8843.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 209

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Drive it however you can afford to. The harder you drive it, the more gas you use and the higher the chance of parts breaking and tires wearing out.

BTW, any pics of it? We love car pics around here! 😁
IMG_8841.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8838.JPG
    IMG_8838.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_8843.JPG
    IMG_8843.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 171
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
You can adjust boost levels by changing pulleys I have the set the kit came with and the Biggest lower pulley and the smallest pulleys they make .Then yo can mix them as well . And it depend on whether I run pump gas and or race gas, With the max set up it makes 15 lbs of boost and around 500 HP .Not with all that at the time .I ran a 3310 750 Holley before and now a modified 830 CFM Holley vacuum secondary with a bunch of upgrades to every thing .More than I can list here. I could if I wanted to drive it But I have my 1981 El Camino SS now. And there are too many idiots on the road now any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor