374 Olds 350 stroker build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Oh, FFS! Is this the only machine shop in Canadia?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
  • Sad
  • Indifferent
Reactions: 2 users

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Well after a long 11 hour day of fun at work, I went looking for my other balancer off the 403 to replace old denty. Found it, blasted off the Duplicolor with aluminum oxide and painted with a couple of coats of VHT Black Metallic Engine Enamel. I also removed 20 pounds in the form of the removal of the POS R4 with a delete pulley.
Dude please don't use that balancer...if it is not a replacement it's at least 42 years old...you have to much invested to use a used part like that. Both my Olds builders refused to use an old balancer on my engines...JMO

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I will discuss this with Mark. This one is in good shape.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Decided to glue on this gasket to the reverse rotation Flowkooler water pump. Since this gasket does not exist outside of buying this pump, gluing to the pump is much more ideal than the cover. Of course, I used the best RTV on the market.
20210717_075459.jpg
20210717_075509.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
These parts arrived. Harassing the machine shop today about my crank today.
20210720_200401.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Talked to machine shop today, the crank is ground! It is .030"/.030", they need rings and rod bearings to internally balance. I told them to get me rod bearings to speed it up, nope. They called direct to manufacturer's, Clevite, Federal Mogul and King, no one had any in stock. Sent Mark a message with the rest of the parts needed, hopefully they are available.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Talked to machine shop today, the crank is ground! It is .030"/.030", they need rings and rod bearings to internally balance. I told them to get me rod bearings to speed it up, nope. They called direct to manufacturer's, Clevite, Federal Mogul and King, no one had any in stock. Sent Mark a message with the rest of the parts needed, hopefully they are available.
They should be able to estimate the weights to get it balanced. A couple grams either way isn’t going to hurt it.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Something to think about... I'm no expert but I'm thinking that nobody has the .030 / ,030 bearings in stock is because it is not ideal. I think we can all agree that .030 is pushing it. The potential problem is that some mfgs use the same size outer shell, and then use thicker ( softer ) bearing material, while others use a thicker outer shell, and and thinner bearing material. If I were you, I would call Clevite, and King myself and talk this over, before making a decision. Maybe 64nailhead has some insight. I'm curious what Mark has to say.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
They should be able to estimate the weights to get it balanced. A couple grams either way isn’t going to hurt it.
I agree with this.
Something to think about... I'm no expert but I'm thinking that nobody has the .030 / ,030 bearings in stock is because it is not ideal. I think we can all agree that .030 is pushing it. The potential problem is that some mfgs use the same size outer shell, and then use thicker ( softer ) bearing material, while others use a thicker outer shell, and and thinner bearing material. If I were you, I would call Clevite, and King myself and talk this over, before making a decision. Maybe 64nailhead has some insight. I'm curious what Mark has to say.
Remember this is a 330 crankshaft, so it is way stronger than the lightweight POS crank this block came with but is heavier. There is actually .040" bearings available for the SBO from King. I will ask Mark this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor