374 Olds 350 stroker build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I agree with this.

Remember this is a 330 crankshaft, so it is way stronger than the lightweight POS crank this block came with but is heavier. There is actually .040" bearings available for the SBO from King. I will ask Mark this question.
.030 is not an issue. Remember the 383 Chevy is based on cutting a 400 crank .200 on the mains to fit the 350 block. And for circle track motors the common thing is to use the Honda 2.0 rod journal diameter down from the Chevy 2.100. Before affordable cranks we’re available this was done on stock cranks.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
.030 is not an issue. Remember the 383 Chevy is based on cutting a 400 crank .200 on the mains to fit the 350 block. And for circle track motors the common thing is to use the Honda 2.0 rod journal diameter down from the Chevy 2.100. Before affordable cranks we’re available this was done on stock cranks.
Good point, my other 330 crank, while .010" on the mains is cut to the smaller 2" sbc rod journals from the factory Olds size, 2.125" for extra stroke. The Honda size is actually 1.88" and guys have used that on the 330 crank for a 3.6" stroke. I am betting there isn't a lot of .010" or .020" bearings laying around either, everything is in short supply. What he is getting at is how the larger undersize bearings may be manufactured, not crank strength.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Mark's response to the bearing question was this.
"The shells get thicker as the undersize gets greater". If anything that should make it more stable than a smaller undersize bearing. After break in, I wonder how high I could rev this 358? It will probably be done at 5500 rpm, so probably setting my rev limiter on the Ignitor 3 module at 5500 rpm. With the much stronger light pistons, stiffer plus lighter and way stronger rods with ARP 2000 rod bolts and ARP main studs with a 330 forged crank, 7000 rpm should be easy peasy. I know a guy doing that with heavy Speedpro's and stock rods, running low 11's with his Olds 350. That should mean 9000 rpm should be possible, I don't have the guts for that.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Mark said he guy has .030" rod bearings, told him to ship them separately. FYI, Mark said replacing the balancer is good idea considering the minimal cost involved. I told him to send me one of reasonable price and quality.

Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Just check that the radius is good at the journals after the crank is cut.
Yeah, I will try out my new 2" to 3" digital micrometer to check their work.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
FYI to us SBO guys, Mark talked to Clevite and King both had .030" rod bearings in stock. The had zero .030" main bearings in stock and don't plan on making anymore. The Federal Mogul Bi metal bearing is the only option in that oversize. Summit has .040" as special order through King on rod and main bearings but that could be a long wait, probably the same for .030" mains.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
FYI to us SBO guys, Mark talked to Clevite and King both had .030" rod bearings in stock. The had zero .030" main bearings in stock and don't plan on making anymore. The Federal Mogul Bi metal bearing is the only option in that oversize. Summit has .040" as special order through King on rod and main bearings but that could be a long wait, probably the same for .030" mains.

Oof.

Is this a bad time to suggest an LS swap? ;)

I am looking forward to seeing this built and running. As for the power curve/rev range - engine dyno it is the only way to baseline it beyond trial and error at the track or using an accurate accelerometer (ie. a Draggy).

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Oof.

Is this a bad time to suggest an LS swap? ;)

I am looking forward to seeing this built and running. As for the power curve/rev range - engine dyno it is the only way to baseline it beyond trial and error at the track or using an accurate accelerometer (ie. a Draggy).
Mike, I always appreciate your opinion. Like I said, it will be time for a new car and it won't be a GM product, if parts for the Oldsmobile V8 become unavailable. It will get tuned with a wideband and will see the track, hopefully next year.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Mike, I always appreciate your opinion. Like I said, it will be time for a new car and it won't be a GM product, if parts for the Oldsmobile V8 become unavailable. It will get tuned with a wideband and will see the track, hopefully next year.

You know I am just busting your chops. We are going through a difficult period in this hobby. You may want to double up on the hard to find parts now. I hope to be in your position one day trying to find bearings for an "obsolete" V8.

Perseverance, my friend - you got this.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor