383 stroker or LS Swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
Unless you have great fabbing skills and loads of time go sbc with efi. Simple and reliable. My buddy is just finishing up his killer Turbo LS/4l80e swap in a Turbo T. He's a wizard at welding and fabbing. Aside from researching all the right mods, he's had to make exhaust housings, turbo brackets, wiring, dash, fuel line, chute mount, etc, etc, etc. He's using his old FAST system from the turbo V6. He's shooting for 1000hp and I'm sure it will be close. LOTs of money too. No matter how cheap you get an LS you need to do some upgrades to the block unless you don't plan to do much beating on. No doubt, a well built LS is the way to go IF you can handle the task.

Reactions: 1 user

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Greasemonkey
Jul 17, 2018
If I was going for 600+ HP I would do a Turbo LS

My goal is only 450-500hp, so I chose a 454.

If it was a complete daily and I really drove it a lot it would an LS with maybe just I/H/E with cold AC in my face.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
No matter how cheap you get an LS you need to do some upgrades to the block unless you don't plan to do much beating on. No doubt, a well built LS is the way to go IF you can handle the task.

You don't need to do anything to a LS short block to handle anything South of 750 crankshaft horsepower.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I have the option to build 383 stroker or LS Swap right now what is the best option? Reasons why?

I would go LS. Why? 1) Because you get modern technology, high flow heads and a stout bottom end with stock parts 2) Turn key fuel injection gets you away from the hassle, smell and driveability issues that carburetors have. 3) The LS engine HP/TQ curves are ideal for our traction limited G bodies 4) Parts availability. These things are everywhere for cheap. 5) The power adder potential and use of a factory ECM with a turbo or SC is well documented and easy to add on later.

Personally, I was tired of driving old school V8's that would roast the tires off at a dig but then suffer in the mid to high RPM range due to poor flowing heads. Spinning is not winning. My Olds 403 was a great example of this. The 6.2 will still roast the tires but it keeps pulling hard until red line.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I don't have any driveability issues with my Qjet carb. It even has better throttle response than the OBD2 DBW in my 08 CVPI. Driven behind plenty of EFI cars smelly exhausts.

LS engines don't go for cheap in my area, and LS replacement parts often cost two to three times as much as SBC replacement parts. LS engines also have poorer oiling systems, oil control, and crankcase venting than SBCs. Not to mention it is not all bolt in and go. There is still custom fab work required such as exhaust and driveshaft. Depending where you live, there are emission legality issues with LS swaps except for the Erod crate motors. EFI tuning can be tricky and is more difficult than carb tuning as there are 1,000s of tables in the computer. Tuning is also expensive as the software starts at $600. The self learning and tuning systems also have several drawbacks.

Advantages for SBCs are, low cost of parts, direct bolt in with factory parts, no custom fab work required, easier oil control, no expensive software required, simpler setup, and many performance options. An 880 Vortec 350 with a LT4 hotcam is an easy 400 hp with good manners.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
My answer is get another g-body and do both :banana:

My SS’s 383 roasts tires but also pulls nicely, good torque curve IMO, it’s power is where a street car should have it, I don’t really feel the need to wind up to 7,000 rpms :D

But my wagon will likely get an LS swap, both with probably have about the same power, if starting with a blank slate going LS is very appealing even though it seems like being a lemming. Having a 350 sitting around is a point towards the 383 idea.

In short you can’t go wrong with either if done right.

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
If the 350 runs you could just put it in for now and run it until you make your mind up and have fun with it. I've found when you dump a bunch of money in something you want to take care of it more and not have as much fun in it.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
First I'll start that everyone made great points and offered good advise. My vote is 383 sbc stroker. I enjoyed my 383 build. I have no experience with an LS swap. You can always efi a 383 to get some benefits of efficiency. It wont be an LS, but helps. Anyways, that's my vote and 2 cents. Good luck with your decision and build.

the way that the long term reviews are looking on efi (holley and fitech), I'm not so gun-ho on that.

I agree with what others have said, find your budget. Check out the threads here and calculate as best the total cost for an LS swap. I hate carbs lol, so I wish I would have gone with an LS. I think I paid $3600 or so for a 383 with around 450hp (long block - no intake). Nothing forged. I'm not sure if I can get that much hp I can purchase with an LS for that budget in a crate shipped to my house, but it might have been worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor