3D printing montes hard to find parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis Rocha

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 23, 2018
Hi friends, Have anybody 3d printed any part of your car. I am rebuilding a 1979 monte, in my country there are not yunk yards and not many of these cars. I noticed that buying parts for the 3g monte are so expensive so I decided to buy a 3d printer to do some stuffs by myself. Mainly rear tail light and their trims, front healdlight trim and corner.

Does anybody have tried this before, is it posible??

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Good luck! Someone on this forum was 3d printing front turn signals for 78 Monte's.

Luis Rocha

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 23, 2018
Good luck! Someone on this forum was 3d printing front turn signals for 78 Monte's.
I have been searching but I couldnt find the post you said. I already have print some test parts as I dont have any of the original ones to do an exact replication. Finding the post you mention will be very helpful

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I have a bit of 3D experience.

Most importantly, buy a dual head printer, it allows you to print the material you are making the item out of, and a material to fill in negative space. Imagine you are printing a hollow cube, unless you printed a sort of arch on each wall you are never going to be able to print the top wall, the material will just sag. At work we print the negative space with a material that is dissolved in a weak acid leaving the part when it is done.

Also try and get something that is enclosed, it keeps the heat in the bed (mine stays at 100* C), and extruder (200* C) I just put some glue down with a glue stick before I print. WHen the glue is dry and the part is finished it comes off easily and cleanly, I always use the "rafts" option my printer has. XYZ printers have a sort of post processor you enter before printing that allows you to orient the part on the printing bed, as well as scale it, add interior support, and rafting as I mentioned.

The printer I bought was a good deal at $500 5 years ago, last year they had a deal on the same printer for $300 with $300 in free fillament. $500 buys you a hell of a nice machine now days.
We have a half dozen $180000 machines at work and they are 360x better, maybe not even 3x better than mine.

Look around on thingverse, theres some fun things you can make, you know those snap together kits to build your own headers? I printed a set, they came out awesome. I also printed some Grateful Dead steal your face coasters lol

Reactions: 1 users

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
What program do you use to create the images you print from? Have you used a 3D scanner before to create an image for 3D printing. I want to get into this more when I have the extra cash to buy a good machine

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
What program do you use to create the images you print from? Have you used a 3D scanner before to create an image for 3D printing. I want to get into this more when I have the extra cash to buy a good machine
We have a scanner at work but I have never used it. Simple 2d parts I’ve been using emachineshop. Exported as a .stl stereo lithographic files. More complicated parts are going to require Creo or auto cad

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I also printed some Grateful Dead steal your face coasters lol

WANT!!! :D

I grew up with The Grateful Dead. My avatar was the Second Choice for the Blues for Allah album. Obviously, they didnt choose it, but always liked the pic. My motorcycle is all Grateful Dead. That avatar is on my Tank if you look real close :)

-Gonz

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 235
  • Arkansas.jpg
    Arkansas.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IBoGMf.jpg
    IBoGMf.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 224
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I don't care who you are that is just cool as s***
I have a 3d part done on my truck that is way cool

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I have been searching but I couldnt find the post you said. I already have print some test parts as I dont have any of the original ones to do an exact replication. Finding the post you mention will be very helpful
Sorry, I can not find it either.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor