3rd Gen Camaro/Firebird questions, considering one for a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, I have personally broken a 7.5". First the Powertrax No Slip, so it no longer slipped, basically a spool, happened with slicks at the track. I then blew up the stock open spider gears just goofing on the street. They are super soft. The used 3.42 gears used to replace the wrecked gears the exploding spider gears took out, also had worn spider gears behind a mighty Astro Van. I replaced them with much harder Yukon Spider gears, multiple 9.4 in the 1/8 runs with slicks, no more issues. The 28 spline stuff was only slightly stronger and Torsen posi eliminated the Spider gears, which is good. Supposedly GM made the 4th gen housing even thinner, not good.
I just don't understand why GM didn't offer the 8.5" once the TPI 350 came out and especially in the T56 equipped 4th Gens. Either way the 7.5" and 700R4/4L60E plus the chebby only motor makes me hesitant to own one, so many issues to deal with. If I could afford a 89 Turbo Trans Am, I would own one in a heart beat, it fixes two of the issues with these cars for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor