3rd Gen Headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
so 3rd gen headers work on a gbody? shorties and full length? no modification?

I've got the Hedman 3rd gen shorty headers on my 86. No mods? Well, yes and no... The third gen shorty headers run the driver side pipe between the oil pan and crossmember to the passenger side. There it will either merge and become a single larger pipe or meet with the passenger side pipe to run into dual cats, both being on the pass side in about the same place the g-body cat sits. Therefore, the 3rd gen shorty headers have the driver side collector pointed inwards and slightly forward to aim that pipe so it will run between the oil pan and crossmember. If that's how you want to run your duals (and you're using a stock sized oil pan), then youe *should* be able to use a 3rd gen shorty unmodified.

Since I am using a larger pan with kick-outs, I had my driver side collector cut and angled straight down. This way you can run the duals on each side of the car.

As far as the long tube headers go, I have no experience with them. Myself, I'd tend to say they will fit but every company makes headers slightly differantly and not all may fit.

Unless you already have 3rd gen long tube headers, I'd just buy them for a g-body. The only reason I went the the 3rd gen shorties was I was running a SBC/T5 combo and I wasn't sure the g-body shorties would clear the hyd slave cylinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor