4.8 ls swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boli

n00b
Jan 10, 2020
i have a 4.8 ls swap that I’m going to put into my 1984 Buick Regal and I was just looking for tips and recommended motor mounts and will the motor run just off the computer that I took out of the truck with the ls? and how will I get my speedometer to work again I’m just trying to have a turn key cruiser

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
No turnkey LS swaps unfortunately. But everything you're doing has been done a thousand times. Regarding motor mounts, I was able to use the AllStar Performance plates with the stock SB clam shells. I run aftermarket ECM's and can't offer any real advice with the factory ECM other than whatever you have will work, but certain ones are easier than others. Depends on cable or DBW throttle body and what transmission you're using.,

Boli

n00b
Jan 10, 2020
It’s a stock Electric Throttlebody but I want to turn it to cable so it’s easier to setup what Throttle body do I use?

• Haha

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Only the early dbw ECUs still have the necessary drivers to swap to cable driven throttle body. You can stick with the dbw TB but you'll need a tach module and the electronic pedal that goes with it. It's really not difficult to keep it drive by wire, easier really if you don't plan on forced induction. At the minimum you will need to have the factory ECU flashed to remove input for the rear O2 sensors and the VATS system. Easiest way for a speedo is to get an aftermarket GPS based one that isn't hooked to the mechanical bits at all. To avoid all the engine mount set back garbage I bought adapter plates for the stock mounts, attached the clamshells to them and then attached the bases to that. Installed the engine where it fit best and marked the frame. I welded my lowers in but it wouldn't be horrible to pull the engine back out and drill the proper holes to mount them. Eliminated tons of worry about not getting engine placement correct.

If you plan on performance tuning or forced induction in the future then do yourself a solid and avoid the stock ECU.

A standalone harness and aftermarket ECU that is far more tuning friendly can be had for roughly equal money after you modify the stock stuff and buy tuning software.

Eddie Cutlass

Apprentice
May 3, 2020
San Diego
i have a 4.8 ls swap that I’m going to put into my 1984 Buick Regal and I was just looking for tips and recommended motor mounts and will the motor run just off the computer that I took out of the truck with the ls? and how will I get my speedometer to work again I’m just trying to have a turn key cruiser
Hey what’s up Boli! Set up sounds good! Wondering if you already have the motor? If you do, what all cane with it And do you have the transmission too? What year is it?
That'll help figure out what you’ll need.
If you don’t have a motor yet, I recommend you buy a donor car/Truck...you’ll have everything you need and you won’t have to worry about running around pick a part yards and auto parts stores. A “junkyard built motor” can turn into a “who jacked my money?” REAL quick.
I recommend watching a lot of LS videos...from the low budget YouTube tutorials, to the TV auto specials. Watch enough of those and all the “he says/she says” starts crossing itself out to help you get an unbiased opinion on your options. Everything from bolts to safety. There’s a lot that goes into it.
Start watching this series below on YouTube. Yes it’s corny, but watch every episode. From there, even if you’ve done a bunch of swaps before or know your way around the garage, watch other videos from other yotubers...Don’t rush it. Your ‘turnkey’ will turn into a turkey if you don’t plan this out.
And please don’t forget about your safety. From suspension and brake upgrades to handle the LS, look into fuel cutoff in case of accidents and such. Daily driver or weekend racer/show car, stay safe.

Eddie Cutlass

Apprentice
May 3, 2020
San Diego
Hey what’s up Boli! Set up sounds good! Wondering if you already have the motor? If you do, what all cane with it And do you have the transmission too? What year is it?
That'll help figure out what you’ll need.
If you don’t have a motor yet, I recommend you buy a donor car/Truck...you’ll have everything you need and you won’t have to worry about running around pick a part yards and auto parts stores. A “junkyard built motor” can turn into a “who jacked my money?” REAL quick.
I recommend watching a lot of LS videos...from the low budget YouTube tutorials, to the TV auto specials. Watch enough of those and all the “he says/she says” starts crossing itself out to help you get an unbiased opinion on your options. Everything from bolts to safety. There’s a lot that goes into it.
Start watching this series below on YouTube. Yes it’s corny, but watch every episode. From there, even if you’ve done a bunch of swaps before or know your way around the garage, watch other videos from other yotubers...Don’t rush it. Your ‘turnkey’ will turn into a turkey if you don’t plan this out.
And please don’t forget about your safety. From suspension and brake upgrades to handle the LS, look into fuel cutoff in case of accidents and such. Daily driver or weekend racer/show car, stay safe.
Forgot to add the link 👍🏽🤓👍🏽
here you go:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Research, do your research. Then research some more. LS swaps are easy.
This requires people to think and do work...

It's 2020, you think the ability for that is still around?

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor