4 wheel disc combination valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
My new aftermarket disk/disk prop valve failed in the same way both of yours did when I tried it in 2017. The brass style aftermarket ones are direct swap overs to the factory G body cast iron Kelsey-hayes or Bendix supplied ones ( I forget what style the G body has but almost all the OEM valves are originally supplied by one of those two manufacturers)

Either the Bendix or Kelsey-hayes can be 'gutted' and converted to run disk/disk by removing some spring and ball, but the G body factory valve is the type that can't be converted. The aftermarket style is a clone of the type that can be converted. From what I gather it's just missing the drum pressure reducing parts that the disk/drum style has.

Potentially inline tube or other 'premium' distributors have some test that they pay for that makes them better than the elcheepo fleabay style but again, I haven't seen any evidence they are supplied by different manufacturers. The design is the same and volumes are low enough I highly doubt there is more that one oversees manufacturer.

If you are firm and want a replacement that will 100% swap an NOS ws6 f body part is probably your only shot.

"1978-81 FIREBIRD TRANS AM 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKE VALVE NEW GM NOS OLD STOCK 1257189 | eBay" https://www.ebay.com/itm/3627415265...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Been down this trail once. Bought an aftermarket disc/disc and it felt the same as the factory setup with C5 front and Seville rears. Swapped back to the original disc/drum prop valve and couldn't tell the difference.

I have another car that I'm using the stock valve with oversized metric fronts (2.75") and Explorer rear discs and it works fine as well.

I believe the stock prop valve works well more than adequately for 90% of all setups until you get into varying tire sizes.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I bought an NOS GM valve for my car. I already had a new aftermarket valve but heard too many bad things about them. My NOS valve came home from Jordan (the country). It wasn't cheap, but it's the real thing.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor