4 wheel disc conversion (research validation needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
So it is finally time to upgrade the brakes on the old banana. I will be swapping the front end to a blazer brake set up with stock blazer brakes.

For the rear I am leaning towards the inline tube conversion kit with the parking brake set up. I like them so far for the ease of installation with the least amount of fabrication needed. I don’t want to cut down the axle flanges that way if I ever want to ditch the 8.5 rear end someone could convert it back to drum brakes for a factory restoration.
In-line brakes

For the proportioning valve I was looking at the inline tube replacement

Inline tube proportioning valve

Master cylinder upgrade:
Master cylinder from Napa

Just want to make sure the research I have done makes sense. Anyone see any holes in my plan?

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
So it is finally time to upgrade the brakes on the old banana. I will be swapping the front end to a blazer brake set up with stock blazer brakes.

For the rear I am leaning towards the inline tube conversion kit with the parking brake set up. I like them so far for the ease of installation with the least amount of fabrication needed. I don’t want to cut down the axle flanges that way if I ever want to ditch the 8.5 rear end someone could convert it back to drum brakes for a factory restoration.
In-line brakes

For the proportioning valve I was looking at the inline tube replacement

Inline tube proportioning valve

Master cylinder upgrade:
Master cylinder from Napa

Just want to make sure the research I have done makes sense. Anyone see any holes in my plan?

Following this for the rear brakes. I'm all about, " ease of installation with the least amount of fabrication needed."

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Don't see why that setup won't work.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Following this for the rear brakes. I'm all about, " ease of installation with the least amount of fabrication needed."
I’ll definitely post a follow up when I put them on. From the videos it looks really simple, just need to weld on two little tabs. The parking brake cable set up appears to be straight forward with new cables and brackets.
Don't see why that setup won't work.
Perfect, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This master https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=309537&cc=1021644&pt=1836&jsn=1386

And leave the stock prop valve. My son originally had that exact rear setup and Blazer fronts with '80 Riviera disc/disc master cylinder. He started out with a prop valve from Inline tube and ended up swapping the stock prop valve back on. When he went to C6 brakes up front, the aftermarket prop valve did work better.

The left parking brake cable was too short. I contacted Inline tube and the sent me one that was 1-2" longer.

Reactions: 1 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
This master https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=309537&cc=1021644&pt=1836&jsn=1386

And leave the stock prop valve. My son originally had that exact rear setup and Blazer fronts with '80 Riviera disc/disc master cylinder. He started out with a prop valve from Inline tube and ended up swapping the stock prop valve back on. When he went to C6 brakes up front, the aftermarket prop valve did work better.

The left parking brake cable was too short. I contacted Inline tube and the sent me one that was 1-2" longer.
Thank you for the recommendation. You will not believe this but I can’t ship that master cylinder to California…. Stupid prop 65!

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Are those the 80's Cadillac style rear calipers or are they an S10 Blazer retrofit?

I know I've read more that a few claims online (websites) mentioning rear e-brake issues w/the Cadillac set-ups. Not sure how similar the S10 stuff is to the Cadillac version is as well. I know one main complaint is that the e-brake has to be manually adjusted as the pads wear. Not sure if there were other issues as far as functionality but I've seen more than one ditch the caddy style for LS1 style/later model set-ups.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Are those the 80's Cadillac style rear calipers or are they an S10 Blazer retrofit?

I know I've read more that a few claims online (websites) mentioning rear e-brake issues w/the Cadillac set-ups. Not sure how similar the S10 stuff is to the Cadillac version is as well. I know one main complaint is that the e-brake has to be manually adjusted as the pads wear. Not sure if there were other issues as far as functionality but I've seen more than one ditch the caddy style for LS1 style/later model set-ups.
Not sure, I’ll give them a call tomorrow and report back what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor