400sbp (nj)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all i just picked up a engine to screw around on building wise for my cuty, its a early 70's pontiac small block 400, i dont no how much stock horse it has, or what not but can someone tell me how to make this a 400block with 400horsepower.
i already no cam,lifters,carb,headers,intake manifold,distributor,heads,springs,rods,the whole deal but if someone can tell me like whats the best brands and stuff to use for this type of things, also if anyone hear is from nj whats a good machine shop in central nj to bring an engine in and have them build it for cheep. 😀 also pontiac trans am lace rims on a cuty? thoughts and opinions helpful

Summit brand. Cheap, good all around camshafts and parts. In order to save money, stick with the heads you got, they're capable of making 400hp easily. The valvetrain you'll probably want to beef up to a .500 lift capable spring and the stamped rockers will be fine. I personally like edelbrock for my intake and carb parts.

On ebay, there is a chinese msd knockoff distributor that makes 45,000 to 60,000 volts and is an excellent distributor. It was highly recommended by my engine builder who builds for NASCAR and its only 45$. As for headers, the best I've seen to fit our cars is flowtech but I'm not sure if they make them for a pontiac.

Basic theory is that you should be able to make 1 hp for every cubic inch. I'm using a summit .442/.465 camshaft and it has plenty of lope and torque down low. I stand by this cam and other members on this board started using it and have been very happy with it.

Your saying it's a Pontiac but also saying it's a small block. Are you sure it's a Pontiac engine, or could it be a Chevy 400. Pontiac didn't make a small block 400, but I'm pretty sure the Chevy is a small block.

What number is stamped on the heads just above the two middle exhaust outlets? Does it have a separate intake and valley pan underneath it? Just forward of the distributor toward the driver side it should also have a 2 digit date code if it's a 70's block. I have one with 77 stamped there, my other one doesn't say anything but it's a 60's block.

If it's a Pontiac you already have a lot of the aftermarket stuff already in the engine, right from the factory. It would have pushrod guides, screw in studs for the rockers, high pressure oil pump, large main bearings, 2.11 intake valves (if it's a factory 4bbl setup), oil pan baffle, mine had a windage tray too but not all did.

Summit is a great place for prices, although I don't know how much engineering they put into non-chevy cams. I've bought a summit cam and lifter set and the idiots gave me a set of chevy lifters. They tried telling me they're the same...they're NOT- Don't listen to any dumbass that says chevy lifters are the same, just because they look similar. The Pontiac lifters are different on the side of the lifter, it has a different height for the groove that lets oil into it each time it moves up/down. If you install chevy lifters it will run but not correctly, and won't last.

Honestly I'd start researching which type of cam rpm range I wanted, pick a good brand, and then get that first. All the bolt on stuff like intake/carb/headers etc. I'd look on ebay or craigslist, or the local salvage yard. Headers don't always last long so maybe only get new ones or a set in great shape.

patmckinneyracing said:
Summit brand. Cheap, good all around camshafts and parts. In order to save money, stick with the heads you got, they're capable of making 400hp easily. The valvetrain you'll probably want to beef up to a .500 lift capable spring and the stamped rockers will be fine. I personally like edelbrock for my intake and carb parts.

On ebay, there is a chinese msd knockoff distributor that makes 45,000 to 60,000 volts and is an excellent distributor. It was highly recommended by my engine builder who builds for NASCAR and its only 45$. As for headers, the best I've seen to fit our cars is flowtech but I'm not sure if they make them for a pontiac.

Basic theory is that you should be able to make 1 hp for every cubic inch. I'm using a summit .442/.465 camshaft and it has plenty of lope and torque down low. I stand by this cam and other members on this board started using it and have been very happy with it.

^^^ :blam:

You get what you pay for.

Cheep, Good, Fast; you can only have two.

I cant say Im the biggest fan of pontiac motors anymore, but the edelbrock rpm heads that are available for ponti v8s do the job pritty well of making between 4 and 500 horse. Out of the box they flow:
PontiEDELrpm.jpg

Compare those with the RA3 and 6x heads:
poopheads.jpg

These heads will allow you to make 400 horse and be very mild on the cam you choose. Of course you need to get a cam with lift enough to take advantage of the heads . Stay away from summit brand cams, Ive spent enough time cleaning up the damage caused by cast core cams. If you can get a billet core cam get one. No question about it. The last thing you want to do is wipe a cam and find out you scored the bearings and have to yank the engine and start over. Not only are cast corse potentially dangerous in that regard, but summit brand cams generally will never meet advertised specs. Measure what you get and id be willing to put a few dollars on it not being whvery close to what was advertised. Stay away from anything procomp (except perhaps their carburetor parts, I haven't heard or experienced anything bad with them).

The factory heads will get you to the 400#, but you will have to go a little bit more agressive on the cam than you could with a better set of heads. First off what heads are they? 6x, 4x RA3 RA4? With the exception of the 4x they all flow relitively the same, right arround 215-235 cfm at .500. so 50 to 70 cfm is really nothing to scoff at. That could mean the difference of having a higher compression 93 gas engine to barely make 400, or running a mild 87 gas engine and exceeding your goal of 400.

Either way, dont be cheep. Thrifty is good, and look for deals but dont be cheep...it winds up being more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor