406 info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuscani

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2013
i am building a 406 SBC engine it was for strip/street use but now it will be for WE fun not realy strip
need to go in a cutlass 1980

dart little M
wiseco pistons flat top (+5.4 CC cups)
scart i beam 5.7 rods
scad 3.750 crank 4340
AFR 220 comp package heads (valve springs for solid tapped cam) 75 CC
Rocker Arm; Ultra Pro Magnum 1.6 and 1.5
4500 stall converter
th400
isky cam
isky%20570-A%20mec108%20lobe%20%28463%20x%20600%29.jpg

no idea on the rear gear but it is a posi drive
tires 275/60x15

is thise set up any good for street use ore is the cam to mutch
i am willing to change cam and stall and also rear gear but keep it usable for highway use
if not to expencive and a real benefit i can change to roller lifers but it need to be worth the money

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Mighty stout engine - It all depends what you are willing to put up with on the street. It's not street friendly and power brakes will
be a problem.

tuscani

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2013
lilbowtie said:
Mighty stout engine - It all depends what you are willing to put up with on the street. It's not street friendly and power brakes will
be a problem.
i am willing to lose 30-40 hp to get it more desent for street use
i also need a intake manifold i got a high bowtie single plane now and a dubbelpump holley
so maybe not the most street and pump friendly setup

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
So how often do you plan to drive it? How much highway driving? My 406, I feel is very streetable (everyone has their on opinion on what they call streetable). Then again, I only drive it when it's nice out and I have overdrive with a 4000 lock-up sconverter. I also have a electric vacuum pump for the brakes. My cam is a custom Lunati solid roller with 257* int/265*exh duration @ .050 lift. Lift is .650" both sides 110 lobe sep on 106 centerline. Also running a Hurricane intake with 1" super sucker spacer and 850 SMI double pumper, doesn't get the best mileage, but definitely a blast to drive. So what it boils down to is what you can live with on the basis of how often it gets driven.

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
Are u building this engine or you buying it? The pro and cons
Pro..
More cubic inch. always good!

Cons...
4500 stall converter is gonna suck on the street period.( in no way good for highway)

The th400 takes more inertia to turn then the th350

Should use 6 in. rod better geometry for motor. Not saying there is anything wrong with the 5.7

You should always match your cam, intake and converter. motor will always run better when those listed match each other.

Are u buy the dart little m block. That seems like over kill for street. I would look for a stock 400 and save some money

tuscani

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2013
those are the parts i got . i got them to build a strip car but now the plans are changed
i want to make it a little more street . th 400 is also completly rebuild
i am not gooing to use it often only for fun ore if my daily drive is broken
so it is more a toy .let say 50 mls in the WE and occacionaly a trip with friends .
a vacuum pump is probably a good idee .i want more torque on lower rpm
so i do not have to run with high rpm like on the strip .

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
My 406 combo is a streetable set up.....running .488/.510 edelbrock rpm cam, 2500 stall on a 700r4, to 3.73 rearend gear.....could went 2800 on stall and know some that run a 3200 with a similar set up....also I have 4.10 gears but haven't tried them......I have driven this from Alabama to Florida, to Texas, to Ohio for the Hot Rod Power Tour......only issues were a broken rocker arm, tv cable out of adjustment, and a broken u-joint at 75 mph......all these were at different times....

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Looking at your selection of parts you'll be around 10:1 compression with the cam bleeding off alot of the cylinder pressure down low you should easily be able to run on pump gas. The converter is loose and you could get by with a 3000-3500 stall pretty easy. Overall it looks good and should be a fun little weekend warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor