406 SBC starter problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Inspect the flex plate while it is running, look for a wobble or it being out of round. maybe it stops in that certain spot and the system does not mess correctly

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

J_Garry

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 8, 2019
Roslyn, Pennsylvania
I really appreciate y’all input. I was hoping the flexplate I could worry about later on down the road. I know I was gonna have to replace it anyways. Hopefully I can find the answer to this problem at some point. Thanks again guys

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I really appreciate y’all input. I was hoping the flexplate I could worry about later on down the road. I know I was gonna have to replace it anyways. Hopefully I can find the answer to this problem at some point. Thanks again guys

if you want to put off changing the flexplate til later on you can always use this method to start the engine....:D

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm running the same motor/trans combo as you with a starter from a 1999 Tahoe.no shims ever.where this problem changes like the weather i think these guys are onto something with the flex plate making trouble.make sure you're using the correct starter bolts too.a regular bolt will allow the starter to walk about.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

J_Garry

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 8, 2019
Roslyn, Pennsylvania
I'm running the same motor/trans combo as you with a starter from a 1999 Tahoe.no shims ever.where this problem changes like the weather i think these guys are onto something with the flex plate making trouble.make sure you're using the correct starter bolts too.a regular bolt will allow the starter to walk about.
Is the size of your starter smaller than the earlier model starters that were kind of big? I couldn’t tell ya if the bolts I have are the right ones. I know they’re knurled, and these are the bolts that came with the Powermaster XS Torque. It was brand new from summit not rebuilt

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it's smaller,i can sneek it past the header even.
0302190914a.jpg

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it's new from the parts store.i've used this same model starter on more than one 406/no shimming required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor