424 mile Monte SS for sale on BaT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Interesting...the trans pan appears to be from a TH250C. Did the MCSS get the ribbed 250C trans pan as-assembled?

Pics 107 and 108 looks like someone has "touched-up" the chassis paint as the brake hardline has black paint all over the tubing and fitting.

Could be sloppy undercoating, but looks newer than the rest of the underside to me, and why there?

Looking at the rest of the pics, I think it is an undercoating job...it's all over the filler neck and other places.

I don't know why I look at these BAT ads, they just make me sad for the wasted cars. Nobody in their right mind is going to spend stupid money and then drive it, So it will continue to waste away somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's undercoat. Blechh. My 87 got the same treatment when new. Rusty Jones. What a crock. Of course, the "inspections" they did along the way of the undercoating helped document the low mileage progress of my car, so that was about the only plus. It sure isn't rusty under the car, that's for sure, but man does that stuff suck.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
About the transmission...

There was NO choice in 1984 for the SS. You got the L69 and MX1 (3 speed) transmission as a TH350C, potentially save for those never proven to me, three MX0 200-4R SS's they supposedly built. This car also shows MV4 on the SPID besides MX1. Which is the code for a TH350C. Basically a tad weaker lockup version of the TH350 due to some internal plastic parts. They share the same pan, though, so that's what can throw people.

It ain't no TH250. Those would have a band adjustment nut above the cooler lines. Can't tell from the picture here. But based on the SPID and the fact it's 424 miles on it, yeah, I'd be safe to think it's 99.99% original.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
All I am saying is I have never seen the ribbed pan on an original car with a 350/350C, maybe the MCSS got them. I don't know. Well aware that they came with the 350C, wasn't suggesting the car had a 250 in it. Just a casual observation of something that seemed odd to me.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
All I am saying is I have never seen the ribbed pan on an original car with a 350/350C, maybe the MCSS got them. I don't know. Well aware that they came with the 350C, wasn't suggesting the car had a 250 in it. Just a casual observation of something that seemed odd to me.
According to the GM parts information, the 250C (M31) and 350C (MV4) for 82-84 G-body Monte shared the same pan part number of 8641376. I would assume that if the 250C pan had ribs, then the 350C pan, being the same pan, would also have ribs. Unless someone can refute it, I'm going by the only evidence I can scrounge up. I mean, after 38 years or so, you can't absolutely say nothing has been replaced on the car, but I'm going to lean toward it being the original pan.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
And the plot thickens...

Found a few pics of so-called low-mileage original 84 SS Montes. Several had the ribbed pans, and a few had aftermarket pans, and I did see one smooth pan example, but it had like 50K + miles on it. 84 Monte SS 3 speed transmissions were all 350C, and this one you can see even has the original front U-joint. Claims it had 21K miles on it. I'm no expert on the ribbed pans, but apparently they did come on the 84 Monte SS 350Cs. But like anything else, they could have redesigned the pan mid-year, whatever, who knows? So just because your car may have come with something from the factory, doesn't mean it made it all the way through. I do know 1984 was a change point in several nuances with the 84 Cutlass and H/Os, so it could be possible Monte SS had the same sort of mid-year changes going on? (Best guess narrowed down was December 83- Jan 84 time frames for the Olds changes)

1984-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
As we both know, service replacements have little to do with assembly-line parts, but since evidence seems to indicate that it could be legit, I'll just assume it is.

Just saying in my experience, I'd never seen a ribbed pan on a 350, but every 250 I have seen had one. Doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor