430 CI Buick in a '78 Malibu sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lane S

n00b
May 27, 2020
Hello everyone, new to the G-body forum. I have a '67 model Buick 430 that's been sitting in the corner of my shed for three years now. I got it for free from a guy, and it's been begging for its turn in a project. My grandpa has a '78 Malibu sedan that's been sitting out behind their barn for as long as I can remember, plenty of natural patina. I'd like to build a sleeper out of her; buff and reclear the paint, keep it pretty close to stock, muffle the snot out of the exhaust, and have the only outward cue that she's fast be some fat meats under the rear end.

Have any of you guys stuffed a big block Buick in a G-body? What all does it entail? I'm no stranger to making things fit in places they're not supposed to be, my profile pic is my Caddy-powered Crosley rat rod sitting on a Dodge truck chassis. Just curious if it's even doable. I see a 500 Caddy has been stuffed into one, can't be all that much different.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1065.jpg IMG_1067.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I think the 430/340 (early) mounts are different. The good news is that a bunch of these cars came with 3.8 Buricks from the factory. That should at least get you a start on the frame mounts....

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Lane.
Welcome to the forum. I say go for it. Dare to be different. Your grandpa's '78 Malibu sedan would make a hell of a sleeper. Before you get crazy with it, check it over for rust issues.
Your Crosley rat rod project sounds pretty cool. Looking at your avatar, I first thought it was a Willys panel truck, but too narrow. Post a pic or two of that.

Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
430 is identical to 455. I had a ‘69 430 in a ‘70 Skylark with a smallish cam, intake and headers. Ran consistent 7.80s in the 1/8th. That would be a great swap in your car.

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for sharing the pics, Lane. That's one bad to the bone Crosley.(y) :cool: You very hardly see Crosleys at all. A buddy of mine had one, but it was all factory stock. That's about the last one I've seen and that was years ago.
Keep us updated on the Malibu project.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor