442 Option Package or Model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
On a Facebook group that I'm a member of I was corrected in saying that I had an Oldsmobile 442 and not an Oldsmobile Cutlass 442. Is the 442 an option package on the Cutlass or a model of it's own? I think GM had this same type of identity crisis for several of it's cars in the 80's if I'm not mistaken... Camaro vs IROC, Regal vs Grand National, etc... So is it a Cutlass or a 442?

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
On a Facebook group that I'm a member of I was corrected in saying that I had an Oldsmobile 442 and not an Oldsmobile Cutlass 442. Is the 442 an option package on the Cutlass or a model of it's own? I think GM had this same type of identity crisis for several of it's cars in the 80's if I'm not mistaken... Camaro vs IROC, Regal vs Grand National, etc... So is it a Cutlass or a 442?
I may be putting my foot in my mouth again, BUT, I believe it was an OPTION ON the Cutlass, as was the Grand National package, was an OPTION on the Regal, not only were customers confused back then, I think GM was too lol

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
I may be putting my foot in my mouth again, BUT, I believe it was an OPTION ON the Cutlass, as was the Grand National package, was an OPTION on the Regal, not only were customers confused back then, I think GM was too lol
This was always my understanding as well. I think back in the 70's the 442 was it's own model for a year or two but in the 80's was an option package.

• Agree

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
This was always my understanding as well. I think back in the 70's the 442 was it's own model for a year or two but in the 80's was an option package.
Correct, and yeah, the 80's were all over the board, just like the 1985 Buick Electra FWD, the park Avenue was an option ON that platform, I believe up to 1989 when Park Avenue replaced the Electra....talk about confusing!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
RPO W42 for G-body 442 OPTION on the 85 and 86 Cutlass Salon, and 87 Cutlass Supreme only. It was considered its own model only from 68-71, although the build sheet still listed the W29 option on it (442 package). It was an option on top of any Cutlass model it was offered on. Some models had post coupes and convertibles, some didn't.

This is why it's listed as such on the window sticker. At the top you will see Cutlass Salon or Supreme, and then in the "options" listings with MSRP cost you would find W42. I mean, even the Hurst/Olds (RPO W30 [79 only] or W40) was actually a Cutlass Calais, although you won't find the actual word Cutlass anywhere on the W40 or W42 cars, inside or out. Both did not have outer sail panel emblems. The Hurst/Olds cars came with nothing on the center top inner door panel, and the Cutlass Salon/Supreme logo was replaced with "442" emblem on the 442 cars.

Technically, you can call it whatever you wish. Although not really wrong, Cutlass 442 just sounds kinda stupid when you hear it coming out of someone's mouth, at least it does to me. Option or not, the 442 was only on the Cutlass body style regardless. Olds 442. That's it. That's all you should have to say. I mean, NOBODY ever says Cutlass Hurst/Olds do they?

And it should always be pronounced "Four Four Two". Not "Four Forty Two" as some jokers might say.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
What does your title say?

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Not an Olds guy but I think 68-71 it was a standalone then became an option package.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
While technically an A body, the 80 442 was the W30 RPO. 442 emblems essentially took the place of the HO emblems, and it also had the 442 emblems on the inner doors. Besides all the other differences between the 79 H/O and 80 442.

Just to clarify what I mentioned earlier about the 68-71 442 being its own model. The build sheets showed the W29 option but also had asterisks next to “mandatory” options that were basically standard stuff on the 442. Which there was an asterisk next to the W29 option. So when the car got ordered, it was an order for a 442. The window stickers showed the model as 442. The 69 Hurst/Olds was based on the 442 so it had a mandatory W29 RPO along with the W46 RPO (Hurst conversion) , and had 442 as the model on the window sticker. But many 69 442s came with a Cutlass body tag. Confusing? Yup.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor