442 restoration options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techman

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2017
Ok so the tear down of my 442 is coming along with a few disappointments. The worst is some rust around the rear window. This project will now become a frame off restoration. The question is in terms of the best choice for preserving value. Do I reprint the original two-tone and try to keep it as original as possible? Or will it matter if I change the color (exterior and interior) and power train? In essence will it be worth more as a restored 442 or an updated semi custom gbody? I value the opinions on this forum so that's why I'm asking.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Being a 442 that had relatively low production numbers I'd stay absolutely stock. If it were a run of the mill Cutlass I'd say do whatever you want. Either way you'll likely be in it more than market value when it's done. But a stock 442 restoration has more potential collector value in the future. Sorry, 98% of Gbodys aren't really good investment candidates yet.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I really like the Hurst/Olds and 442's. Problem is, the Olds 307 HO peaked in 1983. The exhaust is horrible and 8.3 to 1 or 7.9 to 1 with tiny swirl ports means fair performance at best. Too bad the FE3X's prototype's exhaust never made production.

Techman

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2017
I know they are not really investments. And I'm sure I'll be into it over market value but it's something I enjoy and you rarely profit from a hobby.

• Agree

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
In my opinion a 442 or Hurst / Olds should look factory original. Variations from what GM intended rarely look better. If it were my car I would stick to the factory color options, striping, decal placement and SSIII rims. If your car was an extremely low mileage example there would be value in keeping the factory drive train intact but you are starting from scratch. If done right, updating a car with a modern, computer managed drive train and suspension can increase the value. If hacking in a turbo 5.3 LS truck motor with the wrong mounts, no AC, dented headers and a hillbilly hacked wiring harness you will likely detract from the cars value. With that said, there are some very nice turbo builds out there but I have seen really bad "budget build" executions lately.

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I know they are not really investments. And I'm sure I'll be into it over market value but it's something I enjoy and you rarely profit from a hobby.
As long as you're well aware going in that's great. I don't know what your long term plan is. If you plan to keep it for 20 years you very well could make money on it. If you just like restoring cars for fun and plan to sell just sell it when you're done, nothing wrong with that either.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
I agree with above statements. I would update engine/drivetrain/suspension but keep all original components for sale with car in future. Keep paint/decal scheme but try to score some 15" ssiii wheels to roll on, again keeping the originals, or did 442's have 15" stock? I don't remember....
IMO, many things could/should be done to increase driving pleasure but all mods should be reversible simply because it is a rare car and should you wish to sell it, your customer base is increased to include people seeking 'all original'

Reactions: 1 user

Techman

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2017
I agree with above statements. I would update engine/drivetrain/suspension but keep all original components for sale with car in future. Keep paint/decal scheme but try to score some 15" ssiii wheels to roll on, again keeping the originals, or did 442's have 15" stock? I don't remember....
IMO, many things could/should be done to increase driving pleasure but all mods should be reversible simply because it is a rare car and should you wish to sell it, your customer base is increased to include people seeking 'all original'
It has the original 15" wheels.

Techman

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2017
It seems originality in terms of paint scheme etc wins the vote. I had not planned to go that route at first but after a lot of research I was starting to lean that way. Everyone's input is much appreciated and confirms what I thought. Thanks!

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Its all about what you want, lets face it Gbodys will probably never be worth anything. Give it another 10 years and most kids wont even know how to work on them anyway or even go outside for that matter. Culture is changing sadly. Now that being said i can give you my example, my gf and i have two cutlass's. One is a fairly rare diesel cutlass supreme brougham with no vinyl top but deluxe trim. Now its no 442 but its a factory oddity in todays world all of itself, so that one we are keeping completely stock and just having fun learning all the cool stuff that it came with since its all original. Now my other is a car i actually bought off the forum years ago that was taken from North Carolina to Northern Ohio. I went to ohio and got it for a good price for a completely rust free body and frame. But it had all the usual cheap crap done to it, 350 chevy.... cheap junkyard seats, half a paint job done with rattle cans. That one i am basically fully restoring (body is off the frame now) however im modifying it so i can autocross it and race it and just have fun with it in between taking it to car shows because it wasn't anything special from the factory and it was already messed with when i got it. Just my two cents hopefully it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor