442 with Hurst/Olds wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
It's entirely possible it was dealer installed. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen this done to a 442?
I have seen it done first hand, i worked for an Olds/Buick dealer. It was done on new and used 442 even a plain cutlass per the customer even the air dam was installed its was all about sales. It wasn't just installed on the 87, even 85-86. It was popular back then. The owner of dealer had two new 87 442's setup with hood scoop, wing, air dam and lighting rod shifters i had installed the shifters , they where put on the lot and they sold.
I would recommend removing the hood insulation and see if they had blocked the hole that was used for the center hood trim, if not blocked its possible you will have water entering the engine compartment.
83-84 hurst hood didn't have that extra hole in the hood for the center molding and had a different part number than a regular cutlass.

Shawn z24

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2018
Clarksville TN
So the general consensus is that a 442 never left the plant with H/O trim installed on it. Btw I've worked at dealerships in the last year where we did the same type of stuff so the trend continues 🤣!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's entirely possible it was dealer installed. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen this done to a 442?
I have in the past. I've seen several cars that were new had spoilers put on and other JC Whitney stuff put on them from the dealerships. In the 80s, not many did any performance upgrades due to the "computers", with exceptions of course. There was no limit to what you could get the dealership to do cosmetically back then. There was NO factory option for H/O spoiler or hood scoop for 1987 442. Dealer? Sure. Factory. No.

The POPULAR thing they would like to force on you is to put a coat of wax on the car, spritz some sort of anti-rust crap on it somewhere then call it some sort of rust proofing. Cost the dealership about 15 bucks and then they'd jazz the prospective buyer 200 or more for it. Keep in mind the average cost of a Cutlass back then was around 11-12K. So 200 bucks was closer to about 500 bucks today. Those a-holes did it to my 85 442 when I bought it even after I told them NOT to when I ordered the car. Tried to get me to buy it anyway I told them to scrape it off, I didn't want it. "But we do this to all the cars." Me: "Not mine you don't." I went to the manager and told them it was never on my original order sheet where I paid my deposit to order the car, so that proved I never authorized to put that snake oil on my car. So they just took it off the paperwork and gave it to me for free. I know it really didn't cost them anything anyway, but still. To this day I'm still pissed about that 33+ years later. It's that self-healing brownish crap. Not even sure it was a good idea to start with. Now days they just screw you with "doc fees" which is total jack job because they have to do the documentation anyway. Car dealers' worst nightmare will be the day that you can order your car directly from the manufacturer.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I have in the past. I've seen several cars that were new had spoilers put on and other JC Whitney stuff put on them from the dealerships. In the 80s, not many did any performance upgrades due to the "computers", with exceptions of course. There was no limit to what you could get the dealership to do cosmetically back then. There was NO factory option for H/O spoiler or hood scoop for 1987 442. Dealer? Sure. Factory. No.

The POPULAR thing they would like to force on you is to put a coat of wax on the car, spritz some sort of anti-rust crap on it somewhere then call it some sort of rust proofing. Cost the dealership about 15 bucks and then they'd jazz the prospective buyer 200 or more for it. Keep in mind the average cost of a Cutlass back then was around 11-12K. So 200 bucks was closer to about 500 bucks today. Those a-holes did it to my 85 442 when I bought it even after I told them NOT to when I ordered the car. Tried to get me to buy it anyway I told them to scrape it off, I didn't want it. "But we do this to all the cars." Me: "Not mine you don't." I went to the manager and told them it was never on my original order sheet where I paid my deposit to order the car, so that proved I never authorized to put that snake oil on my car. So they just took it off the paperwork and gave it to me for free. I know it really didn't cost them anything anyway, but still. To this day I'm still pissed about that 33+ years later. It's that self-healing brownish crap. Not even sure it was a good idea to start with. Now days they just screw you with "doc fees" which is total jack job because they have to do the documentation anyway. Car dealers' worst nightmare will be the day that you can order your car directly from the manufacturer.
There was a lot of rust proofing gimmicks back then. We had Rusty Jones and that was big in New England . We even had this other product, it was black in color like tar but was sprayed on the undercarriage of the car. It reminds me of black water proofing paint they spray on new house foundation. I know someone that still has that black tar paint on his GN that I applied in 87 with no rust.

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
There was a lot of rust proofing gimmicks back then. We had Rusty Jones and that was big in New England . We even had this other product, it was black in color like tar but was sprayed on the undercarriage of the car. It reminds me of black water proofing paint they spray on new house foundation. I know someone that still has that black tar paint on his GN that I applied in 87 with no rust.
Ziebart lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Citytunes

n00b
Mar 19, 2019
Some dealers offered the spoiler as a dealer installed option such as desiderio Oldsmobile Ocean township New Jersey. The hood however is probably off of a Hurst Olds witch leads me to believe the spoiler is also. Bare in minde in the late 80s early 90s there were a ton of aftermarket companies making stuff for these cars. In fact I have an aftermarket copy of the H/O spoiler new in box in my attic.
Want to sell spoiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor