454 86 monte carlo LS suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Those Pro-Filer heads are real nice looking heads,but that price is for a bare,unassembled head.
Another option is the Brodix Race Rite Rectangular port with CNC combustion chambers,294 cc intake ports and 119 cc chamber,;
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/bro-2061010sscc/overview/make/chevrolet
These heads have the exhaust port in the stock location.Heads with raised exhaust ports will likely require some modification and grinding/welding/fabrication to either lower control arm mounts.exhaust pipes,or both.
The Brodix heads will support the power level you are looking for.
A lot of guys also use Big Block oval port heads,last 3 casting numbers 781 or 049,but these may be getting hard to find and they could require expensive machine work to bring them to where they need to be;i.e,combustion chamber blending,new,(and bigger),valves,valve guides,valve springs,etc...
If you can do the required grinding/welding/fabrication and have the extra money,the Air Flow Research line of heads are hard to beat as they may be the best "off the shelf" aftermarket heads available today,like these ones;
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/afr-2100-1/overview/make/chevrolet
AFR also has a 290cc oval port head;
https://www.airflowresearch.com/290cc-bbc-oval-port-cylinder-head/
Whatever heads you choose,having a camshaft matched to your application will be the key to reaching your goals.A custom cam from someone like Bullet Cams would be one option,and my first choice.
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Also,be prepared to upgrade other areas as well.
More HP will require a better cooling system,stronger transmission and rearend,possibly a stronger driveshaft,better brakes and suspension,etc.
Tires may also wear out quicker,LOL
Guy

468monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2010
Also,be prepared to upgrade other areas as well.
More HP will require a better cooling system,stronger transmission and rearend,possibly a stronger driveshaft,better brakes and suspension,etc.
Tires may also wear out quicker,LOL
Guy

Got a Champion 4 core radiator with fan. Short tail th400 with transgo shift kit and b&m trans cooler. Using everything from my old regal. Definitely will need a rear end though but not a big concern right now. Cause I know where an olds 442 is at in a junkyard rear me

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Champion 4 core radiator with fan. Short tail th400 with transgo shift kit and b&m trans cooler. Using everything from my old regal. Definitely will need a rear end though but not a big concern right now. Cause I know where an olds 442 is at in a junkyard rear me

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction with parts LOL.
The little 7.5 will live for a while,but it is a nasty mess when they blow up,and this is from my personal experience,and I was at app the 450 HP level when that happened.
The Ford 9 inch has been one of the best investments I made to the Monte.
Guy

468monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2010
It's been so long since I messed with a gbody, engines, or an old school car period. I'm just trying to remember everything it's been 7 years since building my SBC 87 regal. I sold the body last year and kept everything that was good. Regret selling it so that's why I have the monte now lol

468monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2010
Sounds like you are heading in the right direction with parts LOL.
The little 7.5 will live for a while,but it is a nasty mess when they blow up,and this is from my personal experience,and I was at app the 450 HP level when that happened.
The Ford 9 inch has been one of the best investments I made to the Monte.
Guy

I've seen those complete online going for 1800. I've been considering it . But like I said im going with whatever is less cost effective lol. If the olds rear end needs alot that might be the route I'm going for sure.

Last edited:

468monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2010
I'm just trying to find some head that will work for me in the 1200 or less ball park range

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
I'm just trying to find some head that will work for me in the 1200 or less ball park range

The heads that are linked are approximately $1200.00 each,and up.
You may want to up your budget if you want aluminum heads or look for some 049-781 factory heads.
Just keep in mind that buying used heads can open up a whole other can of worms,and aluminum heads will take app 80 lbs off the front end.
Guy

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Ditch the flat tappet for a roller. Been there/done that, never again. While you're at it I would go with a bigger cam.

And ditch that 4 quart joke of a pan as well. The initial cost is a bit more but so much cheaper than redoing it when you lose a cam. Ask me how I know....

468monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2010
Ditch the flat tappet for a roller. Been there/done that, never again. While you're at it I would go with a bigger cam.

And ditch that 4 quart joke of a pan as well. The initial cost is a bit more but so much cheaper than redoing it when you lose a cam. Ask me how I know....

Here's the thing I'm a truck driver over the road. And when I was home I already told the machinist what cam I am using. He wrote down the part number and never said anything else about it. Is it to late to swap cams since he already starting working on the block with the cam specs. And what's a good roller cam similar to what I have. I wanted this cam cause I love the sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor