454 bbc in a 79 mali

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoolieb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2006
omaha,NE
454 bbc in a 79 malibu with stock hood....

hey im new here and at this... im restoring a 79 malibu and was thinking of going with a 454 ! but i want to keep the stock hood ! is this possable ? wasnt thinking the bbc was much taller than a sbc...? is there a shorty intake or some way to make this fit possible...? i dont want to go with a cowl.... thanx alot
bryan

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Unless you run sans air cleaner I doubt it is possible. What is wrong with a cowl induction hood?

skoolieb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2006
omaha,NE
thanx for the help ! like the look of the stock hood better. sounds like ill be able to it in in with the stock hood !

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
BBC will fit w/ a std. air cleaner, but just barely if I remember... sorry for the lack of truly useful info, but it should work. :)

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I too like the look of a stock flat hood. Not that a cowl scoop is bad, its just better for other people to have.

Mr 4 Speed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
A 454 will fit with the stock hood in a Malibu.
This is with a Performer intake and a drop base 14x3 air cleaner.
Be advised you will need a 4 core radiator and 7 blade clutch fan to keep it running cool (185-195* on a hot day)
Also,removing the hood to cowl seal helps as well.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
A guy that I work with has a 455 from a old Cutlass (maybe 442) in his late-70's Old's 98 big body coupe. He had to put a small reverse cowl scoop on it to clear the filter. It looks REAL nice. I eventually want to do that to my GP...

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor