454 bbc worth it or waist of time honest opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
ok so i have plans of stuffing a 454 in my wagon with a 6 speed so that being said i found a 454 locally it was pulled out of 89 1ton chevy pickup z71 i belive. i know it runs thats not the issue because i kno the guy and the truk it came out of it has low miles the guy is a older man who only drove to church and bak and grocery shoppin. he got sideswiped and totalled the bed so his son is parting it from what i kno its a 4 bolt main and its from a 1989 so that being said is it a good platform to start off of or is it a weaker motor of the 454s should i be patient and find a better engine he wants 400 for the complete engine wiring harness comp and the transmission is goin with it i wont use it soo i can either sell it or use it on sumthing else please chime in and give me your opinions if i should go with it or what bbc motor should i be looking for

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
I'm not sure of how strong it would be compared to other 454's but for 400 and it's running with a trans it sounds like a deal you can't pass up because atleast around my area they're not that common. If it turned out to be when they started partial injection i'd be slightly iffy. I know the 4.6 partial injection in my s15 is a pain in the *ss and it's a 90. If it is carbed i'd say go for it because you wont have to worry about the early year's problems of partial and fuel injection. I may be wring but just what i know for now.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
What do you want to do with it? Mega horsepower? Leave it fuel injected and throw a cam and tune at it?

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
it is fuel injected or partialy injected i guess its not carb

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
but i would yank off that intake and go carb but i dont want to get into something thats not worth my time you kno id rather wait and since its injected would i need to use a different fuel pump i think that one would b in the tank right not on the block

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
It could very well be worth it. You just have to pick a goal for it. If your looking for a 250hp 400ftlb of torque big block to street drive with good manners and still get down and dirty stop light to stop light then you can have that easily with what your looking at.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
i want some good power out of it id probally ditch the fuel injection good cam ome head work intake carb headers etc i want torque and of course hp does any1 kno what these motors are rated at?

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
230hp 385tq they are Throttle body injection. Very simple. Low compression, eat any gas you put in them and respond well to a tune and some headers but if you are wanting to pull in big numbers like 400hp then go with something else. The heads are junk for high rpm horsepower. They are more of a torque building head, low velocity. This is good for a street car though. When you get into big blocks you do not need high RPMs and you do not need a bunch of horsepower. Torque in a useable range and low hp peak. They will get a g body moving in a hurry.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Like the other guy said though, for the price. You might want to just buy it for the hell of it. If it is in good shape and low miles you wouldn't have to rebuild it if you did decide you wanted to put some heads on it and a cam. Just do not spin it to the moon.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
things to consider and blah blah

Is this what you want? or is it just an oppurtunity?

Headers for a BBC on a G body will run your around $500 and stuff.

I personally. I would do it. especially for a streeter. A gbody looks sick with a big block in it. Its what i am going to do for my next one

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor