454 chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
looking for a little info . i have a 454 chevy big block at work that runs our generator near as i can tell its from the mid 80s .has(hi-perf pass) stamped on the block i can get other numbers if i know where to look.weve had it the entire 32 years ive been there and it runs off natural gas. anyone know what type of power this thing would put out? i always thought it would be a cool project to put it in a gbody monte.Im an oldsmobile guy so probably would flip it once done. this would be on the back burner for a while with all the other crap i got going .would like to hear from you chevy guys thanks

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
looking for a little info . i have a 454 chevy big block at work that runs our generator near as i can tell its from the mid 80s .has(hi-perf pass) stamped on the block i can get other numbers if i know where to look.weve had it the entire 32 years ive been there and it runs off natural gas. anyone know what type of power this thing would put out? i always thought it would be a cool project to put it in a gbody monte.Im an oldsmobile guy so probably would flip it once done. this would be on the back burner for a while with all the other crap i got going .would like to hear from you chevy guys thanks
Not much hp 290ish but probably 400ft lbs change cam and intake and go have fun ,cool thing about those industrial 454s I've found they got forge cranks and 4 bolt mains least the few I've come across, definitely a good foundation to a cool project get it if you can

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Theyre not much for any performance. They’re constant rpm so it’s torque not any type of power curve or rpm. I seem to remember them having their own casting number heads as well. But like was said, the block, crank and maybe connecting rods could be useful.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Theyre not much for any performance. They’re constant rpm so it’s torque not any type of power curve or rpm. I seem to remember them having their own casting number heads as well. But like was said, the block, crank and maybe connecting rods could be useful.
And one benefit is the gas powered motors are usually very clean inside and take a lot less wear and tear for a given amount of operating time being equal.

Usually having "high perf pass" between the valve springs after pulling the valve covers way back when denoted LS6 engine code parts, so that's a good thing.. Nothing to say what and where the engine originally came.from, particularly if repurposed in the gas crisis years.

Check the stamp pad for what it originally came in, and the block/heads casting numbers.

It could have good stuff in it. Or it could be a smog motor with junk peanut port heads.

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
thanks for the info .ill post some numbers if i find any after work today.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
If I recall all "normal" big blocks had the pass/high perf casting from an LS6 454 to the 396 2bbl in your grandpa's 69 impala and everything in between. It is a quick and easy way to tell a normal deck height bb from the boat anchor tall deck heavy truck big blocks like the 366.

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Yeah I never got excited about the hi perf cast into the block it’s like the 010 on the small blocks. It never meant anything.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Nothing GM put out after 1973 BBC or SBC made any real horsepower again until the mid 90,s . As others have said it may have some good internals though, if I am not mistaken all BBC that were destin for industrial or marine use were forged crank and 4 bolt main and slightly better pistons , although low compression usually 8.5 to 1 . With that being said its always worth running the numbers on the block and heads ! I believe the industrial engines still had a high nickel content until sometime in the 80,s .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor