454 daily driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2018
i am building a 79 el camino lately at least for me bbc's have gone down in price and i would love to put one in my car mut mpg would be a big deal compered to a ls but they are expensive to swap into the car with all the wiring and all that stuff i want to know what yall think go bbc with cool factor hp crazy torque but bad mpg or go ahead and spend the money for a ls or ever easy sbc and im in high school btw

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Well like every project depends in what you want and what you can afford ! The bbc are torque monsters for sure , the sbc would be the easiest and probably the most bang for the buck , the ls from everything i have heard would be the most difficult and expensive . If your willing to do a little leg work , shopping on craigslist/ marketplace you can build a sbc for pennies on the dollar , also possible with bbc just a little more looking involved

Link

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2018
Well like every project depends in what you want and what you can afford ! The bbc are torque monsters for sure , the sbc would be the easiest and probably the most bang for the buck , the ls from everything i have heard would be the most difficult and expensive . If your willing to do a little leg work , shopping on craigslist/ marketplace you can build a sbc for pennies on the dollar , also possible with bbc just a little more looking involved
i looked up what it would take to bb swap my car its not too hard new headers motor mounts low intake and small valve covers everyting else from what i read thats really all ad yes sbc's you can build for really cheap and get better mpg that a bb i also really want to do ls but as you said expensive and complacated i could aso go with the sbc wise a 355 or 383 for fairly cheap

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
If convenience plays a role in this project , dont over look crate engines ! There are some great deals out there including factory GM stuff

Reactions: 1 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Go with what makes you happy. Years ago l had an old cutlass that got 14mpg with an olds 350.l swapped it out to a olds 455 an infact it was a 69 tornado engine. Only change was the engine swap and l got 19 mpg with the 455.

Sure you'll get better mpg with an LS, but for the price??? Sbc are easy to find parts for, bbc are much more money for parts, ask me l got 3 of them. It's going to depend on how you drive it also, LS and sbc can handle revs better than a bbc. It's also going to depend on other changes in the future. How much driving do you think you'll do every day?

Knowone can answer your question 100% because it's a point of view. I like carbs an BBC but that ain't for everyone.

Link

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2018
Go with what makes you happy. Years ago l had an old cutlass that got 14mpg with an olds 350.l swapped it out to a olds 455 an infact it was a 69 tornado engine. Only change was the engine swap and l got 19 mpg with the 455.

Sure you'll get better mpg with an LS, but for the price??? Sbc are easy to find parts for, bbc are much more money for parts, ask me l got 3 of them. It's going to depend on how you drive it also, LS and sbc can handle revs better than a bbc. It's also going to depend on other changes in the future. How much driving do you think you'll do every day?

Knowone can answer your question 100% because it's a point of view. I like carbs an BBC but that ain't for everyone.
what doyou think 383 400 406 vs 396 454 abd prob 30 miles a day maybe more maybe less

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
what doyou think 383 400 406 vs 396 454 abd prob 30 miles a day maybe more maybe less

Bang for the buck, stroked 350 to 377/383 got some snort. In theory you should get better mpg than just a plain 350 because it breathe's easier.

I didn't change valve covers nor my intake, ok l did change it to a raised intake with a dropped air breather on my 86 old with the 468bbc, l used steel engine mounts and it dropped right in. Incase you go that route.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
8:1 454 with the edelbrock top end on it made over 600hp according to HotRod. Do it. :D

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
But seriously, a BBC is a heavy engine. I'd stroke a SB before bothering with a big block in a car never meant to have an engine bigger than 350 cubic inches.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor