454 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Hey guys, my Buddy is in some trouble and has a storage shed dilemna. It started out as picking up a 2.4 for another buddie's Cavalier. Went to go pick it up today and somewhat went through this guys rental storage in which he is behind a few weeks :| Anyways picked up the 2.4 and managed to pick up a few items for basically for free! IE, 2.4 4 cylinder, 4 project car dollie's. and his Tremec tko 600 Trans which is pratically brand spanking new with offset Tremec shifter and accessories..I told him i would provide free place to store it, when he is ready to use just give me a holler.. He also has a few 396's and a 4 bolt 454 block with "truck" heads as he put it.ANYWAYS i was thinking of picking up the 454 for a future project/ :wink: I think i can get it cheap! What would you guys pay for it? I'm not trying to rip him off but would like to give him fair market value. First ? should i get it? And 2nd ? how much should i offer? I know i can pick it up cheap but since i'm on the LS bandwagon would it be worth it?? I want to help him get back on his feet and would like to make it work for any future BBC project i dream of.. :mrgreen: BTW i want a Malibu SOOO Bad!! Though i wonder if i can get it smogged with a 454! :|

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Complete unmolested 454s with th400 transmissions around my way go for asking price of $1000-2500. Every now and then, I see a 454 engine for around $500 or so. Just check your local Craigslist for competitive fair prices and give him that.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
crucial118 said:
Complete unmolested 454s with th400 transmissions around my way go for asking price of $1000-2500. Every now and then, I see a 454 engine for around $500 or so. Just check your local Craigslist for competitive fair prices and give him that.
Around here $600-$800 is the low side of what to expect to pay for a 454/400 combo. I have been looking since about august for parts for my big block build and this price seems consistant for unmolested big block drivetrains. Find the castings of the heads first. 049 and 781 heads are the most desireable for stock castings anyway. TH400 can be found cheap and they will take a beating so I would say $600-$800 is fair depending on the heads. I got my complete 454 for $300.....it turned out to be blown up but still :D

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I'm just talking about the engine which for a fact i know is a 4bolt main block. according to my friend it has "truck" heads in which i guess i'm lost in regards to performance stat's.. I'm assuming the aren't all that great and if i pick it up i would think of tossing them for a set of either 96+ 454 VORTEC heads or some aluminum heads.. :wink: I Have never owned a Hipo Big Block and would like to get one done. I know a 454 isn't crap compared to a 572 but still it would give a SBC a run for it's $$ :twisted:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
85GPLef41 said:
I'm just talking about the engine which for a fact i know is a 4bolt main block. according to my friend it has "truck" heads in which i guess i'm lost in regards to performance stat's.. I'm assuming the aren't all that great and if i pick it up i would think of tossing them for a set of either 96+ 454 VORTEC heads or some aluminum heads.. :wink: I Have never owned a Hipo Big Block and would like to get one done. I know a 454 isn't crap compared to a 572 but still it would give a SBC a run for it's $$ :twisted:
Truck heads dont mean much. You want to stay away from the peanut heads because those are the worst for performance. Most BBC heads flow good but the 049s and 781s are preferred with bigger 2.19, 1.88 valves. A 454 has alot more potential than a sbc they are just moore expensive to build...ask me how I know :lol:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
85GPLef41 said:
I Have never owned a Hipo Big Block and would like to get one done.
Hippo big block? Sounds temperamental and expensive to feed. You sure this is a good idea? :lol:

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
DRIVEN said:
85GPLef41 said:
I Have never owned a Hipo Big Block and would like to get one done.
Hippo big block? Sounds temperamental and expensive to feed. You sure this is a good idea? :lol:

:lol: i meant high performance... I am still up in the air on this engine. It basically a long block which would need the tin and everything else. Biggest issue is $$ i can the block cheap the rest though :?

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
Hey,Are any of those 396-eng L78? If so would he be interested in selling?
Gbarrie.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Gbarrie said:
Gbarrie.

Don't know... How would i find out? If i can i can try to get some casting numbers and see..

my86442

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2011
Nashua, Iowa
85GPLef41 said:
Gbarrie said:
Gbarrie.

Don't know... How would i find out? If i can i can try to get some casting numbers and see..

I agree, if any of the 396's are for sale, ill settle with one. Usually the casting numbers on the heads will say it if im not mistaken. If any of them have factory aluminum heads than for sure LMK. :D The L78 was a Cast Iron head and the L89 was a aluminum headed 396.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor