455 issues... blowby??

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
i wouldn't be afraid to continue breaking it in . however checking the torque on your heads isnt a bad idea.
Also invest in a catch can. you built a new motor to be awesome, not to recycle Pcv gases. oil in the plenum is the work of the devil .

Whoever said condensation isn't bad must be drinking.. mix in a water.

not sure about iphones but for alot of droids and sich you can get a 20dollar bore scope that will knock the socks off any expensive one. go and check the bores, valveguides etc. Knowing is one thing. the rag over the tailpipe test is like sacrificing a chicken in comparison. ive used one of these el cheapo scopes to id crosshatch, and even see overbore numbers on pistons. well worth it even if you have to buy a cheap obsolete phone to make it work.

I bought an EBay catch cam for $20 shipped for my 519 Caddy build. Billet aluminum and nice design and a bargain. Fittings are junk so I used my own. I have a $120 Speedlogix can on my SRT8 and they are absolutely wonderful.

I’ll have a FLIR and a magnifying camera for my iPhone that works great. This bore scope sounds neat

Reactions: 1 user

G.P.

Apprentice
Sep 21, 2019
MAGA North
The usb microscope will be a future investment, i have currently two one thats under 6mm gland and one thats like 7.5....
I typically use one on my laptop , i also have a older galaxy note that has no sim and runs them. when they went to the new usb-c and i dont remember what os they lost support for the external devices but the older ones work great. also had a galaxy S5 that ran one perfect.

im sure i didn't spend more than 30 Canadian for either... i bought like 5 and gifted them for Xmas at one point..

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=usb+bores...prefix=usb+bore,aps,291&ref=nb_sb_noss_2&tag=

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I only mention it because the spec that comes with the slugs is like .002- .0025 which is too tight and gives a lot of Olds guys fits.
There are much better pistons available these days like Mahle and CP.
Even the Icon and DSS forged pistons are a better choice and only $100 more. Any 455 pushed past stock RPM with stock rubber rods needs all the help it can get. There is just too many bottom end failures on 455 builds.

Reactions: 1 user

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
My former engine machine shop guy (we started school together in 1956, he passed in 2013) I'd tell him I wanted 0.0045 clearance on Speed Pro's. He'd always make a point of saying, "you've got your "FOUR AND A HALF". I'd jokingly say, hey, Olds aren't like Chevy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

G.P.

Apprentice
Sep 21, 2019
MAGA North
I bought an EBay catch cam for $20 shipped for my 519 Caddy build. Billet aluminum and nice design and a bargain. Fittings are junk so I used my own. I have a $120 Speedlogix can on my SRT8 and they are absolutely wonderful.

I’ll have a FLIR and a magnifying camera for my iPhone that works great. This bore scope sounds neat

this is the larger and longer one i have.. the smaller one is in a box someplace... i use this with both laptop and android.
IMG_20190921_203214.jpg
IMG_20190921_203219.jpg
IMG_20190921_203309.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor