Status
Not open for further replies.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Get some felpro blues and spary both sides with this

775-80697.jpg

Thats actually what i have Sitting in the garage right now. I bought the Felpro head set that has the blue gaskets and i already have a can of the copper coat. so hopefully i'll get it going soon.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My 88 looks like it is Copper coated, so go with the theme. Just be safe and do everything. Honestly, I have never blown or had Felpro gaskets leak. I have blown a Corteco head gasket. To be fair, it was 1/2" 5A heads on 7/16" 76 Olds 350 block without adapters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Well I'm definitely hoping I'm outta the woods now. Pulled the top end apart and took the heads to be pressure checked and magnafluxed just to be safe, installed exhaust cross over plugs. Then put everything together with new Felpro blue head gaskets. while i had it tore down, i went ahead and replaced the milodon water pump for a flow kooler one..... same housing, but new one has a billet impeller with more fins. had it running and sounds good, temps at their highest got up to 205-210. probably could use a better radiator and fans than the cheap $180 ebay stuff i have, but temps were way better and no boiling or compression in the coolant!

Reactions: 4 users
Sep 14, 2019
Your heads may be cracked. Mine did the same thing then stalled on me while driving once I looked up under the hood the carburetor had gotten so hot it warped the base plate but the engine still ran a block or something before stalling again, once I took the heads off the engine the driver side head had 4 cracks in it and the passenger side had two cracks in it

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
When i built my 455 i had a few years back i had a overheating issue that i tracked down to the water pump. Rebuilt water pumps from napa and the problem one had an impeller that was smaller and left about a 3/8-1/2 gap around the perimeter. The replacement pump had an impeller that went almost all the way out leaving maybe a 1/8 gap around the perimeter. Changing the pump cured the issue

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Sounds like he has it fixed. The 455 is nearly as hard to cool as the 403. Get a 2 core with 1" or larger tube aluminum radiator and good fans that move a lot of air.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Sounds like he has it fixed. The 455 is nearly as hard to cool as the 403. Get a 2 core with 1" or larger tube aluminum radiator and good fans that move a lot of air.

thats exactly what i did! as well as added a 160 thermostat. at idle in gear on a hot day its came close to 190 but usually as soon as the fans kick on at 185 it doesnt stay there long and then drops to 165 going down the road.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor