455 rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
So I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 455. Thought I was buying a motor that was nearly ready to run but it ended up being seized. Normally I wouldn't have bought it but when the seller realized it wouldn't spin the price went from $650 to $100 so I figured why not it was complete from carb to pan and I could probably get my money back somewhere. So after tearing it down I found that 2 of the cylinders have a rust issues. The other 6 cylinders still have some cross hatching left and almost no ring ridge. Inside the pan it looks really good. So far I haven't brought it to a machine shop but one person told me to sleeve the bad clyinders and the other said to bore it 30 over. What do you guys think it a better option?

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I assume Olds 455? Either way a steal for $100. Hard to tell without seeing it but I would think a simple overbore would be in order before a sleeve would be. Sleeves generally are only used for severe damage that boring and honing can't clean up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
X2 for overbore and get new pistons. New cam bearings and decked. Hopefully the crankshaft is good at standard or 10 under. You didn't say what the "LETTER" is on the heads. (Before #1 spark plug)

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
^Seconded. What year/heads you have? Make sure you confirm what the bore size is already and look at the tops of the pistons. it could be already bored.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Oh ya, resize the connecting rods with new bolts. It's all about the $$.
Or even better, replace the soft forged connecting rods with aftermarket. A good idea for any motor seeing higher rpms. As far as boring, .060" over should be no problem, follow the machine shop's recommendation.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I think the best question is what do you plan to do with it? How much power do you plan on making? If it's just a driver you don't need a lot of aftermarket parts but if you want big power you'll need to build for it.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
It's. 72 block, standard bore, with a g head and a ga head. It has the n crank in it. Pistons have pretty much welded themselves in. Pulled the harmonic balancer bolt out with a breaker bar and a post from a stop sign on it and the bolt just barely decided to give way and the pistons didnt budge. Originally the plan was for new rings bearing and a cam but that was when I thought the engine was nearly ready to run. It'll be a street car that may see alittle track time but mainly a street car that has a good amount of get up and go. Will probably end up boring it, will get forged pistons and most likely new aftermarket rods, I want to be able to spray a 150 shot. What is the N crank limited to? Maybe alittle bit of head work but I will be saving my money when it's done for a set aluminum heads.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It's. 72 block, standard bore, with a g head and a ga head. It has the n crank in it. Pistons have pretty much welded themselves in. Pulled the harmonic balancer bolt out with a breaker bar and a post from a stop sign on it and the bolt just barely decided to give way and the pistons didnt budge. Originally the plan was for new rings bearing and a cam but that was when I thought the engine was nearly ready to run. It'll be a street car that may see alittle track time but mainly a street car that has a good amount of get up and go. Will probably end up boring it, will get forged pistons and most likely new aftermarket rods, I want to be able to spray a 150 shot. What is the N crank limited to? Maybe alittle bit of head work but I will be saving my money when it's done for a set aluminum heads.
For specks go to 442.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor