4l60/80 behind traditional small block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole fool

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2017
while exploring the technology out there I came across the Holley stealth fuel injection w/gm trans control
My question is can I put a 4l60 or 4l80 behind the 350 that currently resides in my Elco
Physically that is from what I understand about the stealth system it'll control it.....
And that's the basis of my wanting modern running gear in my car .... being able to tune my transmission
And having efi.. without discarding the fresh 350 4 bolt and starting over with a LS swap..?
I have a 700r in it now and can't get it to shift to my likings

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
You sure can. I have a 4L80E bolted up to the 454 in my GP. I planned this all along, and because I wanted EFI I figured I would go with the Holley Terminator setup--at the time, it was the only aftermarket EFI which could also control the transmission. But it also had a $2600 price tag for the entire setup (ouch). So I changed my plan: I bought a TCI EZ-TCU to control the trans and a FiTech GoEFI 4 for the engine, saving $1100.

PS: I love how the TCI setup controls the trans.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Ole fool

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2017
You sure can. I have a 4L80E bolted up to the 454 in my GP. I planned this all along, and because I wanted EFI I figured I would go with the Holley Terminator setup--at the time, it was the only aftermarket EFI which could also control the transmission. But it also had a $2600 price tag for the entire setup (ouch). So I changed my plan: I bought a TCI EZ-TCU to control the trans and a FiTech GoEFI 4 for the engine, saving $1100.

PS: I love how the TCI setup controls the trans.
I'll check that out .... I did see the FI tech set up for the LS engines that was appealing too should I go to an LS
But my 350 is fresh and take the cost of the replacement and the loss on my existing stuff the tci/fitech combo might be a better option..... can you tweak the shift points and characteristics with the tci ?

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Yes, the TCI offers a lot of flexibility. There is a general setting for shift aggressiveness, which alters the entire 'personality' of the transmission--how it holds gears, how soon it upshifts, etc. You can also independently alter the shift firmness. There is also an option to install a normal/performance toggle switch, and turning the switch on increases both settings on the fly (and you can dictate exactly how much of an increase takes place). If that isn't enough, the controller also allows you to install paddle shifters (or buttons) along with another toggle switch so you can engage 'manual mode' whenever you like.

Quite frankly, I think the capabilities of this controller are overwhelming. I'm not using half of what it offers, and I don't care--I love the way it behaves practically out of the box. You can read through its owners manual here if you want to know more.

Back in 2012, Car Craft did a comparison test of five standalone transmission controllers. This is where I first read about the EZ-TCU, and I was pleased that they liked it so much. Also featured in that test is the PCS Simple Shift controller, which my co-worker is using in his '64 ElCamino with a similar 454 and an identical 4L80E as me. Long story short, he hates it compared to my controller... and he wishes he had known about the TCI one when he bought his (they sell for the same price).

Ole fool

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2017
Chevy bolt pattern 4L80's appear to be cheap junkyard items in 2500/3500 express vans behind 5.0L/5.7L's. I've never pulled one, but every picknpull junkyard seems to have some of these vans.[/QUOTE
Same physical size as a 400 ....that meaning I won't have to modify the trans tunnel like you do with a 6 speed ?

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
I believe you meant to ask:

Same physical size as a 400 ....that meaning I won't have to modify the trans tunnel like you do with a 6 speed ?

My 4L80E fit into my trans tunnel without modification--I didn't even need to 'massage' the tunnel with a hammer. However, I did forget to saw off the ear that pokes out of the bellhousing. This ear ended up contacting the side of the tunnel, which passes on some vibration to the car. Over time, it has slowly been putting a dimple in the tunnel... so the problem might eventually fix itself... but I intend to get a sawzall with a long blade and lop it off at some point.

FYI

Ole fool

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2017
Will a trans from a LS bolt to a old school small block or does it have to be pre LS design ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor