4l60e clearance with tunnel - ears

Status
Not open for further replies.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Hello,

I have a gantry crane and plan on installing this rebuilt 4L60e (from 2003 Silverado 1500 RWD) with the torque converter and 5.3L long block as a bolted unit into my 1984 Monte Carlo. Are there different bellhousings out there because some people discuss removal of "ears" from the transmission, yet per my attached pictures, the ears seem pretty tucked-in on my transmission. Looking at these ears, which don't protrude much, from my perspective, I'm not convinced I need to grind them off. Please look at the pictures and set me straight.

Additionally, I plan on using the stock column shifter. Will I be re-using the "equalizer lever" (u-shaped piece) and all the hardware shown in this post: https://gbodyforum.com/threads/shift-linkage-question.56871/ ? Will I salvage this stuff from the TH250 and make it fit onto the 4l60e in place of the cable actuated lever that is shown in the picture? I see from other posts that I might need to add a spacer down on the bottom if I have clearance issues. I'd like to get the PRNDL working; I've read lots of posts about adjusting this linkage, but I plan to learn by doing/cussing. The Lokar kits don't seem to be better than the stock equipment because they require mods.

If someone thinks there is a no-brainer cable conversion for my column shifter, like a cave man can do it in two hours, let me know. I am grateful for any time savers.

Guy that rebuilt the trans, and put a 3.55 eaton posi in my 7.5" rear (I know) said that I need to be careful bolting the torque converter to the flexplate - he says I could c*ck the torque converter. He tells me to "pull the torque converter forward into contact with the flexplate using bolt with a few threads engaged". Not sure how to comply with that since the bolts in question are rather short and low profile heads. I was thinking that I could engage each of 3 bolts a few turns, then rotate the engine 120-deg to the next bolt and make a couple turns, then rotate, then a couple turns, repeat until time for torque spec. Any pointers? Basic mechanic stuff - I know nothing - everything is a discovery.

Attachments

• trans1.jpg
    trans1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 127
  • trans2.jpg
    trans2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 141
  • trans3.jpg
    trans3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 115

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The ‘ears’ in question are lower down around the converter cover on TH350/TH400. Ignore that for a late 4L60E - notice the bell housing goes all the way around.

When you slide in the converter, it’s important to engage the two slots in the shaft into the pump. Slide it in and rotate slowly, and at some point it will ‘clunk’ into the mating tabs.

For an old school SBC, when you bolt everything together, it’s OK if you have to slide the converter back the 1/8” or so so it mates with the flex plate.

Here’s the point where I solicit advice from the LS experts:
Does he need a crank spacer or adapter to use the 4L60E on an LS 5.3? Out of my league here.

Don’t forget to pour some trans oil into the converter before installing. Hope your builder gave you instructions on how much.

Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
The ‘ears’ in question are lower down around the converter cover on TH350/TH400. Ignore that for a late 4L60E - notice the bell housing goes all the way around.

When you slide in the converter, it’s important to engage the two slots in the shaft into the pump. Slide it in and rotate slowly, and at some point it will ‘clunk’ into the mating tabs.

For an old school SBC, when you bolt everything together, it’s OK if you have to slide the converter back the 1/8” or so so it mates with the flex plate.

Does he need a crank spacer or adapter to use the 4L60E on an LS 5.3? Out of my league here.

Don’t forget to pour some trans oil into the converter before installing. Hope your builder gave you instructions on how much.

Thanks for the prompt response and confirming that I don't need to grind anything off the bellhousing. the 4l60e flexplate and 5.3l came from the same donor truck, so they will bolt together properly with the 4843TWBX (LS Pontiac GTO) torque converter.

Thanks for the pointers on the torque converter (filling and orienting). I was planning on discussing/briefing with the trans shop owner (who rebuilt the trans) prior to bolting things together.

Regards,
Mike

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

If that 4L60E came from a LS Engine (2003 1500 Truck), then it will bolt right up to one with zero issue, self answering question.. ;)

The "ears" are on a 4L80E, not a 60E.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor